One Month out...

Melody P.
on 4/11/18 3:01 pm - Amarillo, TX

well I've lost 27 pounds in a month, 37 in total. Part of me thinks that's not enough but the bigger part of me is so excited!

I've started exercising lightly on my stationary bike. I'm burning around 300 calories with that and walks. I'm also eating around 600calories a day but my weight has been at a sort of standstill for a few days. Do I need to increase calories?

thanks so much for all the info you've all shared!

Mel

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/11/18 3:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You are right on track for the "three week stall," which can come anytime between 2 - 5 weeks post-op.

NEVER increase your calories to get your weight loss going again. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MarinaGirl
on 4/11/18 3:43 pm
On April 11, 2018 at 10:01 PM Pacific Time, Melsbells wrote:

well I've lost 27 pounds in a month, 37 in total. Part of me thinks that's not enough but the bigger part of me is so excited!

I've started exercising lightly on my stationary bike. I'm burning around 300 calories with that and walks. I'm also eating around 600calories a day but my weight has been at a sort of standstill for a few days. Do I need to increase calories?

thanks so much for all the info you've all shared!

Congrats on your first month post-WLS! You're doing fine and should not compare your loss to anyone else's (now or later).

You may or may not be burning 300 calories on the stationary bike as the majority of exercise machines and fitness trackers over estimate that info. And don't factor in exercise calories into your daily calories as it's too easy to eat more than any potential caloric deficits from working out.

jenorama
on 4/11/18 6:09 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

If all we had to do to lose weight is increase calories, not a single one of us would have been fat! Weight loss is most often in a series of stair steps and things like sodium intake and your monthly cycle will definitely influence water retention and your perceived weight loss. You are doing well, so stay your course and before you know it you'll be celebrating 100 lbs lost. :D

Jen

CJ On Orcas
on 4/12/18 3:29 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Congratulations on being a month out already! It gets better every day. I would make sure I was not offsetting the exercise calorie output. Fist, it is not very accurate. Second, it is a good habit not to get into eating back calories... I had a 3-week stall and got very discouraged until the vets suggested I look up 3-week stall. So very common.

Keep going!

MichelleS61
on 4/12/18 4:10 pm - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

As long as you've got enough energy don't increase calories, a stall is common, and you'll find that quite often when they scale doesn't move your body is readjusting and then things will start moving again, and you'll discover some part of you has gotten smaller.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;