Who has ulcers????

cowgirlmoo
on 4/4/18 1:58 am - Crescent City, CA
RNY on 08/19/15

My surgery was 2015. and I have been having so much abdominal pain for over 6 months. I had 2 endoscopies and my Dr. saw exposed staples in my pouch, he said, aren't suppose to be there.

Then he said he was surprised at the number of ulcers I have! He said every corner he turned with the scope, he saw ulcers.

He sent me home with Omeprazole and Protonix and Tramadol for pain. Does anyone have any history of this? I have heard of revisions done after this kind of thing?

Cowgirlmoo

The Salty Hag
on 4/4/18 4:37 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I have had 3 separate ulcer diagnoses, but nothing that severe. I'm on ulcer meds right now actually. I'm taking Omeprazole and Carafate twice a day for the next two months. (I started them a month ago. )

I don't know if any sort of revision is possible. People who have had VSG and end up with acid reflux will revise to RNY, but since you've had RNY, I have no idea what would be possible. Did the surgeon mention any options or devise a plan of action?

Hopefully someone else will have a more helpful answer.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

NYMom222
on 4/4/18 7:38 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Sorry that is rough. Better to know than not know, right?

You may need to be on a PPI like omeprezole long term.

Have you been taking any NSAIDS? They could also be unsuspectingly in cold formulas, topical arthritis creams things like that. Something to check.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Amy R.
on 4/4/18 8:25 am

I'm sorry you're dealing with ulcers. The are so painful a lot of times. I've had them but most of my bad ones were before surgery. It sounds to me like they have you covered, just make sure to take your meds on schedule. It takes a long time for them to heal over.

There have been a couple of cases I know of where someone had to have their RnY taken down to re-access their blind stomach. But I've only heard of literally two and I'm almost ten years out.

You'll drive yourself crazy worrying about this so try to put it on the back burner while you work with your meds. If it's not healed as fast or as much as your doc wants they will give you plenty of time to worry.

It's not ideal but post-ops do get them. And they usually do get better with time and treatment.

MeerKat1994
on 4/5/18 7:52 am
RNY on 05/09/17

I has reoccurring ulcers the first 6 months out, pretty much from the start. They are fortunately under control now! But there was a point when my surgeon and the other surgeon he worked with were talking about going back in, cutting out the inflamed part of the stoma, and redoing it. This would have been a last resort though.

Basically the thought process in this was that the ulcers were perpetuating themselves. The ulcer would irritate the area, leading to another ulcer, which would make the area worse, leading to another ulcer, etc. So my surgeons would just cut it out, try again, and put me on strong medications immediately.

Turns out I didn't need it, but there are surgical options.

Valerie G.
on 4/8/18 7:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you have been taking any NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprophen, naproxen), STOP.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes