Worst WLS advice. EVER.

rocky513
on 3/28/18 4:55 am, edited 3/28/18 2:54 am - WI

"You can use topical NSAIDS without a problem because they aren't touching your pouch. If you take NSAIDS with a proton pump inhibitor, like Prilocec, you won't get an ulcer".

Let's explain why this is total crap. NSAIDS are a systemic medicine. They enter into your blood steam. That's how they work. The med has to get to your brain to effect the area that controls pain. It does not matter what the delivery system is to get them into your blood stream. If you use topical cream, it gets into your blood stream to work. A side effect of NSAIDS is a thinning of the lining of your stomach whi*****reases the probability of developing an ulcer.

DON'T TAKE NSAIDS!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/28/18 5:42 am

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/2/18 3:48 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NHPOD9
on 3/28/18 5:56 am

'Don't track or monitor your labs: your doctor knows what to order and if your numbers are in range.'

Horrible advice. One must be their own health advocate with WLS as so many PCPs are not really knowledgeable about post WLS care.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

apw0
on 3/28/18 6:06 am - Doylestown, PA

Ok....it's time for my humorous spin on the worst WLS advice EVER!

"You shouldnt have the surgery because once you lose the weight, when I smack you on the butt, its gonna fly around your body like a hula hoop".

Words/advice from my insignificant other. Needless to say, I didnt listen.

Bestusernamesarego
ne

on 3/28/18 7:11 am

Weight isn't the only thing it is good to lose! Thanks for sharing.

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 3/28/18 7:52 am
Revision on 03/14/18

Worst advice was from the nutritionist telling me it's ok to start adding whole grain bread into my diet the first week I was on Whole Foods. Just to eat it slowly. She even gave me a weekly eating plan and each day included either bread or English muffins.

Amy R.
on 3/28/18 1:14 pm

Really glad you know better. Many people don't, and waste valuable honeymoon period time eating carbs and not maximizing their weight loss.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/2/18 3:49 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

kudos to you for seeing this as TERRIBLE advice!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

The Salty Hag
on 3/28/18 8:18 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Worst advice ever has to be from my surgeon's bariatric nurse recently telling me that topical NSAIDS are fine. She didn't even bother familiarizing herself with my chart-at that point I'd had two ulcers. I'm on my 3rd now. I should have told her it was probably caused by the topical NSAIDS she said was okay to take. Bahaha.

How am I more educated on this subject than a nurse who specializes in treating bariatric patients?? It's ridiculous.

Also being told by the dietician years ago that Almondmilk wasn't a good choice when making protein shakes; there isn't enough protein in it, so use soy milk. ( blech ) The dietitian even went as far as publicly poo-pooing my choice when I was speaking to a group of pre-ops. She stood there, eyes blazing and shaking her head.

As mentioned above, I'm dealing with another ulcer. I got some ulcer protocol paperwork emailed to me by the nurse. In the paperwork we're tips on foods acceptable on this protocol...and the advice was to use almond milk to mix protein shakes. LOL. *****es!!!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty