Worst WLS advice. EVER.

CJ On Orcas
on 3/27/18 6:53 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Worst advice from nutritionist: add oatmeal/cream of wheat/crackers/bread to your diet, you should be getting 130 grams of carbs daily

Worst advice from an OH member: alcohol is fine in moderation... 3.5 ounce glass of wine daily is acceptable

Second worst advice from OH member: no need to take your vitamins!

Worst advice from a friend: you should stop losing weight, you are looking too thin/you look like a POW/are you sick?

Worst advice from my mind: a little treat is okay while I am losing, don't want to feel deprived... that cookie/candy/trail mix is totally okay

Thanks, Amy. Great thread!

Amy R.
on 3/28/18 1:02 pm

Thank YOU Cheryl! I am loving these answers. It's interesting and more than a bit sad, that so much bad advice is out there. Even on a site like this.

CC C.
on 3/27/18 8:29 pm

Eat lowfat/no fat foods, specifically dairy. Ick.

MeerKat1994
on 3/28/18 3:59 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Full fat/ high fat dairy are the only foods that consistently give me problems. I think it may be the lactose, but it makes me sad.

Amy R.
on 3/28/18 1:04 pm

Many people become lactose intolerant after surgery. Sounds like you are one of those lucky ones. There are lots of threads on how to deal with it and you could likely pull some up using the search feature here if that's something you are interested in MeerKat. =)

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/18 4:43 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I eat lowfat/nofat dairy. For the most part, I just prefer it.

seattledeb
on 3/27/18 9:10 pm

I went out to breakfast with a friend who was 4 years PostRny. I was about 3 months. She ordered pancakes,eggs,and hashbrowns and a huge glass of milk. She ate everything. She said the trick was washing it down with the milk.

That scared me. I have been the Queen of Compliance about waiting at least 30 minutes to drink. It's always in my mind. If I may a mistake it instantly feels tight. It rarely happens.

I was here in those surgery wars. It was meaningless to me because the Rny was the only choice that would work. I do see not wars but people choosing between sleeve and Rny. For me if you have Gerd or diabetes I think you should just straight out have an RnY. If asked that would be my advice to give. I'm wondering if that is the standard operating procedure for most surgeons now?

And just last week my internist said.."yes you can use the NSAID creme" My own doctor clueless about something so important.

MeerKat1994
on 3/28/18 3:56 am
RNY on 05/09/17

My Bariatric nurse insisted I could take NSAIDS via IV. I was pretty sure I had read here that any form of NSAIDS is trouble. We argued a solid five minutes before she gave up and hit me a different pain killer.

Writergurl08
on 3/28/18 9:19 am
RNY on 02/15/18

My surgeon had me insist upon adding NSAIDs to my allergy list at my regular doctors office. They don't question actual allergies so much, and their programs automatically remove them as an option for me

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/28/18 11:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks for sharing.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!