Favorite Ways to Stay Warm?

MeerKat1994
on 3/27/18 9:50 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Oh that towel warmer idea is so smart. Ive been putting my clothes under my heated blanket before I take a shower so that when I get out they are nice and toasty.

And a heated mattress pad? I didn't even know that existed. Must look into that.

seattledeb
on 3/27/18 12:54 pm

I love my dual control heated mattress pad. I use it year round.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/18 9:56 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I have an old fashioned ho****er bottle with a knit sweater on it of a penguin. I put some water on in the kettle until it simmers, fill it up and cork it. While at my desk I lay it against my stomach or lap. I also have a heating blanket now, but before Inwould refill the bottle before bed and put it at the bottom of my blankets. I also wear layers all year round. Cuddl Duds are amazing https://www.cuddlduds.com

Gwen M.
on 3/27/18 10:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Electric blankets, space heater, warm clothes, actually wearing socks instead of being barefooted in the house, fleece vest.. keeping my core warm is useful and keeping my extremities warm is also nice.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/27/18 11:48 am

I am an anomaly. I am almost always hot since RNY.

Drinking hot liquids - hot coffee or hot soup - will set me up for a clothes change (overheating). I am on Hormones replacement therapy for menopause - because being hot almost all the time and getting hot flashes on top of that was horrible.
IMO- it has something to do with the vagus nerve. But warm drinks and soups (drink liquid - then eat solids) can help to keep the body warmer.

Avoid icy drinks, plus keep your feet warm, and your neck. Hot shower before bed - can be really great.

Low carb diet can cause low T3 - the thyroid hormone that may be responsible for feeling hot or cold.

When I was MO - I was almost always cold... Now - I am hot most of the time.

no - it is not good - because there is only so many things I can take off and be decent. Plus - I feel like i ma going to burst in flames when room temp is 73-74.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MeerKat1994
on 3/27/18 12:58 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

You are spot on about avoiding cold drinks! It makes it difficult for me to hit my water goals, though. Maybe I should just start letting it sit till it's room temp?

So strange that it made you more warm?! Do you have thyroid issues?

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/27/18 2:13 pm

No hyperthyroid, and my thyroid is more on hypo- level - just barely normal, and my iron is low, and i am getting symptoms of anemia and ??? .....

I am just "special". Docs are as baffled as I am. It may have to do with my Pituitary and my Hypothalamus -= they control the body temperature. plus - who knows why?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Janet P.
on 3/27/18 12:10 pm

I had my surgery 15 years ago and I'm always cold (so basically it doesn't go away). When I'm home I always wear socks or slippers. I also have lots of warm coats and sweaters.

It's all about the layers :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

MeerKat1994
on 3/27/18 12:56 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Wow 15 years! Congrats! But also, slightly depressing that it doesn't go away. Ah well. I'll just start investing in a heated blanket company stock. Maybe I'll make some money off of it ;)

CC C.
on 3/27/18 12:39 pm

A warmer climate doesn't make it much better! I live in Southern California and I'm still cold. It's 74 outside now and sunny, but only 66 inside even with the doors open. I keep going outside and soaking in some heat before going back inside. I live in slippers and sweatshirts and sleep under a ton of blankets.