Too young for gastric bypass??

stacyrg
on 3/26/18 10:03 am
VSG on 05/12/14

That is some of the oddest advice I've ever heard. I think you have to go with your gut and get the surgery YOU are most comfortable with. Just food for thought, when I was first deciding between sleeve and RNY, I was leaning towards the sleeve. I had no contraindications for the surgery and was concerned about vitamin issues (note that my surgeon recommends the RNY level of supplements for ALL his patients, believing that there is some component of malabsorption with VSG even though it is restrictive in nature.) Anyway, I wanted VSG and that's what I got. I lost 100% of my excess weight and kept it off until I developed out of control GERD and had to convert to RNY. I did NOT convert because of a lack of success with the sleeve. I've also never heard of a doctor saying that if you stick to plan you may not lose weight after the RNY.

I think any doctor who doesn't push you to lose all your weight with your first surgery is nutty. Why even consider what to do next when you fail, instead of giving you the tools and support you need to succeed in the first place? So very odd.

Like I said, go with your gut. I don't think you're too young for RNY, so if you want RNY, go for it. If you're seriously considering the sleeve, I wouldn't be concerned about not losing enough or being unable to sustain the weight loss. Either surgery is just a tool, and as long as you do the work, you can use either to get to goal and stay there.

MeerKat1994
on 3/26/18 4:29 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

I was 22 when I got my bypass. Im not quite a year out, but so far so good. Down 160 pounds! 20 more till goal.

there may be more risks, yes. But we also have the advantage of future medical technology advancement. So I'm not too concerned.

my surgeon just strongly emphasized the strict adherence to my vitamins!

sparty
on 3/27/18 12:12 am
Revision on 08/16/18

Thanks everyone for the support, advice and insight! I really feel the RNY is the best option for me so I'm going to go with my gut and work this tool knowing it's my last shot. I will be calling the surgeon's office tomorrow so they can resubmit the paperwork to my insurance.

Thanks again!!

Partlypollyanna
on 3/27/18 3:48 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Good luck!! Great job being your own advocate.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

chevtow41
on 3/27/18 2:08 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Just to throw another log on the fire so to speak. The DS is the best choice for diabetes from what I've read. Of course you may have zero interest in that surgery but thought I'd throw it out there :)

Good luck whichever way you decide BUT be sure you decide NOT some goofy surgeon who probably wants to do the sleeve cause its quicker and he'll make more $$

Valerie G.
on 3/27/18 2:30 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were a teenager, but 32 and he's concerned about your age? That sounds preposterous to me. I have a couple of theories and this is just me speculating out of no area of expertise, just being on the boards for nearly 15 years.

• The sleeve is easier than RNY to perform (and he gets paid the same either way)
  • The sleeve has a smaller nutritional challenge, and his patients have been getting malnourished so he's inclined to steer to the sleeve over RNY because he doesn't know enough about nutrition (many surgeons fall short on that topic anyway).
  • He doesn't trust you will be compliant in keeping up with RNY nutrition.
  • He knows how to revise a sleeve, but a RNY revision is much more complicated and he's not skilled to do so. He's already considering you as a repeat customer before he even gives you a chance to succeed. BTW - a RNY can be revised to a sleeve or DS by a skilled revision surgeon (but these are rare).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathy S.
on 3/28/18 8:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

WTH? I honestly don't know what to say. Your surgeon has very little faith in his patients and their long term success. If my surgeon had said to me, you may not succeed so let's have a back up plan would have made me want to eat. Sorry, but if you have the option get a couple of additional opinions. You are NOT to young and we have a lot of successful long termed RNY's here.

No matter what procedure you have it really does come down to what you eat and how you live. I tell people to get it right between the ears before you re-arrange your plumbing.

Keep us posted OK?

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

SNCplus2
on 3/29/18 9:13 am
VSG on 05/07/18

I am in the pre-op process and just met with the bariatric nurse yesterday to indicate my surgery and surgeon preferences. When I indicated a preference for RNY, the nurse made an unsolicited comment that at my age (48), RNY would be an OK choice. She said that if I were 35 or youger they would recommend the sleeve due to common issues with low iron with RNY and potential issues due to menstruation. This is not an issue for me so I did not ask any further questions, but wanted to share on this thread.