10 Days Out

Melody P.
on 3/24/18 6:00 pm - Amarillo, TX

Today marks 10 days since surgery.

In that time i've lost almost 20 pounds, 30 since February 14th.

I've had some emotional ups and downs, thankfully mostly up. I'm doing well, except i'm having issues with milk based things. It appears I am now lactose intolerant.

I've tried cottage cheese, regular SF pudding, and some cream of soups(I don't know if they even have milk but they did upset my stomach). Oh, and not to leave it out...yogurt.

I'm doing my shakes and getting the protein in. But the calories are very low and i'm worrying about that. I do lucky to get 500 calories due to the milk issue. I am on the full liquid diet and I'm unsure of what things I can have. The list I have is pretty small so I'm looking for ideas from people who have actually been in the same boat(WLS).

Thanks for so freely sharing information on this site. It has helped me many times!

Mel

Partlypollyanna
on 3/24/18 6:44 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I had RNY in Feb and so far both my Dietician and Surgeon have said not to worry about the calories -- as long as I'm hitting the protein and fluids, they are happy. At 6 weeks out, I'm in the 400-550 cal range usually.

I am sorry you are having the lactose issues -- that can't be easy. Have you tried the fair life milk? I drink it because even the skim milk is high protein and the bottle says it's lactose free. If you try it and it works, you could make plain yogurt from it.

I also like some of the bone broth broths....I have no idea how they are but I've even seen some bone broth protein powders that were about 20g protein; might be an option for you. I'm waiting for an order of a pea-protein powder to get here as I wanted to see how that is.

Hope the rest of your weekend is great.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

CJ On Orcas
on 3/24/18 9:01 pm, edited 3/24/18 2:12 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Pea protein is nasty stuff.

Sorry, edited to say in my own humble opinion, I had to throw mine out.

Writergurl08
on 3/25/18 6:40 am
RNY on 02/15/18

Agree! I sampled some and couldn't even choke the sample down

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Melody P.
on 3/26/18 10:13 am - Amarillo, TX

I agree, it made me gag pre op.

Mel

Partlypollyanna
on 3/28/18 6:45 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Yeah, I finally tried it - very much not to my taste!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

CJ On Orcas
on 3/28/18 8:48 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I have not met anyone whose taste pea protein does appeal to.

Lina_Ann
on 3/24/18 7:13 pm

My surgeon told me a lot of people can't tolerate milk after surgery. Since surgery I use almond milk in my protein drinks and lactose free Greek yogurt. I can get away with a baby bel cheese 2-3 times a week.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/18 6:08 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I did okay on milk, but sweet things killed me. Before surgery I used premier protein and after they made me so sick I couldn't stand them. Had to water them down. Not really a milk drinker at all, but when I did I used Fairlife Ultra-Filtered fat free. It tastes the same and the nutrition looked a lot better than regular milk. Would have to use that for my powdered premier protein. Now I buy the shakes though, because of lazy.

CJ On Orcas
on 3/24/18 9:11 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Congratulations! I used Unjury chicken broth protein powder. 20 grams per scoop, I do not think it has milk but it was not sweet, which is what I had most trouble with.

I use Fairlife milk. They make it in 2%, 1%, and fat free but I do not use the fat free kind. It is lactose free and has double the protein (13 grams for a cup) and half the carbs, I think 6 grams. You can also make a high protein milk with skim milk and powdered dry milk but I never liked the flavor of either.

Costco and maybe others sell a protein water. I have the blueberry flavor and it has 20 grams protein and is watery. Taste not that great but if you water it down and ice it not too bad. I absolutely love the Syntrax Nectar fuzzy navel flavor. Again I do not have a problem with lactose so check me on that. Amazon sells a variety sampler pack.

TheWorldAccordingtoEggface - lots and lots of ideas for people new to the RnY world. Right now, though, just hang in there. It gets so much better in a few weeks.

I did have refried beans with melted cheese in the first several weeks. Since I could only eat about 2 tablespoonfuls it was okay. I would not have them now, though.

I did not follow my nut's advice about oatmeal, cream of wheat, crackers, or other carbs and have been relatively successful. I am only 18 months out so not a veteran for several more years.