Feeling so Discouraged

grannymedic1
on 3/27/18 8:38 am, edited 3/27/18 1:40 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

Congratulations on what you have done so far. I would add some solid protein in the morning and at noon, then add a 5-10 minute walk into your day. I could only do 5 minutes at first, then pay for it with pain for the next two days. I kept on, and noticed that by shortly after surgery I could do 45 min easily.

the whole thing here is to concentrate on getting better, in baby steps. We don?t get fat overnight and won?t get better overnight. You don?t have to be perfect, just start getting better.

i would like to add, stay away from the scales. They are not our friends. Go by how you look, feel, and by how your clothes fit.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Amy R.
on 3/23/18 12:08 am

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It happens. Just a couple suggestions:

1) if you aren't actually weighing and measuring your food you might want to start. I was convinced I could eyeball my portions and not actually have to break out the scale. When I actually tested that theory I found out that I was WAY wrong.

2) I completely understand not liking vegetables. But the fruit is probably not going to work well for you. 3 ounces of vegetables isn't really very much at all. Try to find some you can stomach. When I say try I mean sample every single (non-carby, non-root) vegetable in the produce section. Try them raw and try them cooked. Look at pinterest or some such for ideas to help make them palatable. If you truly can't find anything that works you're best off just subtracting all produce from your food plan. Don't eat the fruit. Eat only the other choices. You'll be ok, take your vitamins and watch for constipation. It's hard but it's only for a limited time.

I don't want to discourage you because I personally believe you are going to turn this right around and be just fine. There are parts of this process that aren't fun. They are different for all of us but the bottom line is that if we want the surgery we must do every thing they ask of us. Make following the plan and doing exactly what they tell you your job for the next few weeks. You can do this. We can do hard things.

Come here and post as much as you want. It helps. Reading old posts helps as well. Don't give up. You'll find what works for you, you'll find you can do what needs to be done, and soon this will all be in the past and you'll get to enjoy the benefits of having the surgery. I'm 9+ years out - and it has never not been worth it. =)

You got this.

Teacher33006
on 3/23/18 2:13 pm

Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate your response.

I do actually weigh every single thing I put in my mouth. I was never very good at eye-balling.

Im working on the veggies. I've been trying new recipes. I really am trying. I really don't know if, at this point, I could handle taking the fruit out. I eat so little as it is.... I just do t know if I could handle it. I do only eat the fruit he told me I could eat though- only apples, berries, pears, or kiwi.

Amy R.
on 3/24/18 12:04 am

Glad I could be a help. We all need that, no matter where we are in the WLS continuum.

Just a quick note: After surgery (depending on your surgeon's plan to advance your post op diet), veggies and fruits will likely be a very minute part of your eating. At least for a bit. If you don't have a copy of your surgeon's diet progression you may want to ask for one - you'll quickly notice that in the beginning few weeks your food portions will be tiny. And there will be - or should be - very little produce involved.

Hopefully this will be a bit of encouragement as you struggle through your veggie dislike preop, lol. Even when you finally are cleared for all foods you certainly won't have to eat things you don't like. So the pressure does go away soon. Also, fwiw, there are long term postops who eat exactly zero vegetables and have done absolutely great. I'm thinking of one in particular who is at least four years out and won't eat a vegetable if he can do anything to avoid it. He's at goal and has been there for years.

Anywho, I'll stop now. Just know that some things that appear to be absolutes are very likely temporary in nature. One less thing to worry about is always good!

kc574
on 3/23/18 3:54 am - Bristol, IN

I'm still in my prep stage... also looking forward to surgery this summer.

I began at the end of November and I didn't actually start losing weight until my January appointment. (I have to meet every month consecutively for a minimum of 6 months.) Since then I have continued to lose. I've now lost a total of 25 pounds. I do eat regular meals though and I use the protein shakes and bars as supplements... like when I don't want to cook or it's just a busy day or something.

I know it can discouraging at first, but once things start to take off it'll all be so worth it!

Teacher33006
on 3/23/18 2:14 pm

Congrats on your loss!!

Shannon S.
on 3/23/18 3:56 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I would say just keep at the plan and don't cheat out of frustration. Maybe stay away from the scale for awhile. I experience fluid retention around my monthly time. This month I literally lost 5 lbs over night after it was over. Drinking water helps me to release the fluid. It also may be worth it to have your thyroid checked as this can make weightloss more challenging.

Teacher33006
on 3/23/18 2:14 pm

Thanks so much. I'm trying so hard not to cheat. I haven't yet, but it's been difficult. I do need to drink more water.

JoeAverage
on 3/23/18 6:31 am
VSG on 01/25/18

Hello,

Some good tips so far! One thing I would suggest is LOG EVERYTHING as accurately as you can in an app like Lose It or MyFitnessPal. As someone else said, if you don't have a food scale, get one ASAP and start using it.

Also, 5lbs of fluctuation are totally normal as well as 1-2 week stalls. Just keep the faith and stay the course. It can be insanely frustrating, but you just need to keep at it and you'll break through!

Age 34 | Height 6'0" | HW 305 (2017) | SW 276 (1/25/2018) | GW 199 (5/23/2018) | CW 198 (5/31/2018)

Teacher33006
on 3/23/18 2:16 pm

Thank you! I've been using MyFitnessPal to log everything. I want to be able to show the doctor everything I've eaten. So I track every bite.

I do have a food scale and use it for everything. I feel like I'm trying to do everything right, but maybe my body is being stubborn.