Knee Surgery While Waiting Through Appeals Process

babettes_feast
on 3/9/18 11:20 am

Have any of you had joint replacements prior to WLS? I have such severe arthritis in my knees that I can only exercise in the water. My original plan was to have the knee replacement after WLS, but as you can see by my post below, I've been denied. Thought I might put this time to good use by focusing on another part of my body! #whatamess!

CJ On Orcas
on 3/9/18 12:07 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Funny you should mention knee replacements. I have had bad knees for about 15 years, due to osteoarthritis and being obese all of my adult life. My genetic history is not good, both parents and several aunts and uncles have had knee replacements and my three siblings all have bad knees

I saw an orthopedist about five years ago and he said he would not/could not do a knee replacement on me unless I got my BMI below 40 (it was 44+ at the time). So... I ended up having a gastric bypass in order to get my knee replaced. I had rny in September 2016, and just had my right knee replaced two weeks ago. I have no idea how I would have managed with an extra 114 pounds on me. It is difficult at my current weight of 153 pounds...

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 3/10/18 8:10 am - CT

Yes, I had total hip replacement while morbidly obese. My surgeon doesn't deny obese people. I was so happy to get my mobility back.

Donna L.
on 3/11/18 6:53 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This was actually my plan 2.5 years ago when I first had WLS...I think it's a good way to keep forward momentum.

One thing to be aware of is there may need to be a window of time between surgeries, especially major ones. If you are still overweight complication rates and inflammation rates are higher for both operations, so we sometimes will need extra healing time.

I know for my dental surgery and WLS they had to be at least 2-3 weeks apart. With a knee replacement, you might need to be able to fully ambulate on your own before they will do the other procedure, too, to help with pulmonory and clotting issues.

I honestly am not sure...might be a good idea to ask the bariatric surgeon to avoid surprises beforehand if your appeal does get approved. I'm hoping it does!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Knitter215
on 3/12/18 9:01 am
VSG on 08/23/16

My orthopedic surgeon would not do my knee replacements (I need both****il my BMI was under 35. (It was between 48 and 49 at the time). He felt there were too many complications, particularly with wound healing and believed the result would not be as good. That's why I had my VSG first. Have you appealed your denial of your WLS? Often, it is reversed on appeal.

In the meantime, work with a physical therapist to find things you can do in and out of the water. Mobility is your friend.

(FWIW, I'm bone on bone in both knees - have needed them replaced since I was in my early 40s due to my life as an athlete in my youth. I'm 56 now and probably won't have them done until I'm in my mid 60s.)

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)