New and New..

Lipster101
on 3/6/18 3:26 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Hi All, I'm pretty new to group and 3 weeks post op, gastric bypass. Out of nowhere, I'm getting this pain near my right side incision. Sometimes it's sharp and unforgiving and other times dull..Is it normal? Could I have pulled or hurt something? Am I just healing? Honestly, the pain is making my head hurt with that slight headache or I wouldn't reach out at all. When do you reach out to Dr's, without being the biggest complainer in the world?

Don't get me wrong. I have a list of questions a mile long, lol. Yes, I try not to look at the numbers. Yes, I have lost about 25 lbs since preparing and surgery. I am drinking as much liquids as I can but feel bloated very quickly even with baby sips. I am hungrier at times and some days can go without looking or thinking about any food or liquids. I am trying to create a balance, and that is even harder than I thought. I thought I'd be in better shape by now. I still am tired, uncomfortable, and even a bit cranky at times, even though my family will tell you I'm just being me, but it's really because I'm uncomfortable.

I'm open to ideas, suggestions and would rather hear from those that share my journey than complain to family and friends. Yes they're understanding, but of course, they have a first hand but yet limited view of my life right now. Thanks in advance..

Partlypollyanna
on 3/6/18 4:24 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Your timing on this is amazing -- I am three weeks out tomorrow and I came here this morning to post something along the lines of I know things are going well technically but this morning I'm just discouraged that it's not going better, lol.

Maybe there's a 3 week depression along with the 3 week stall I hear about!

The logical part of my mind says "not going well? when was the last time you lost 21lbs in 3 weeks you idiot" but the emotional part of me says I'm doing all these things and it just seems like it should be more. I've stayed active since the surgery but only got cleared to go back to working with a trainer on thursday and I feel so puny like the two weeks I didn't "really" work out set me back so much (my trainer says, you're doing fine, major surgery, just keep doing a little more each day, blah, blah, blah). I think my brain wants to be completely healed and my body just isn't quite there and so maybe that's what's making me so annoyed and cranky!

On the incision pain, I am occasionally getting twinges if I bend a certain way or stretch too much but for the most part, mine are just randomly itchy. If you keep feeling pain or if it looks more red or anything, you should call your doctor or nurse - I don't think they would think you are a complainer -- they would want you to be better safe than sorry! None of our med professionals want us to get a complication that leads back to the hospital!

Hope your day gets better!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Lipster101
on 3/6/18 4:40 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Thanks and keep up the good work! Yes, when was the last time we lost 20+ lbs in 3 weeks. Sometimes I guess we have to hear it from others to stay focused and be proud of ourselves for moving forward and in the right direction..If the pain is still constant by tonight, I'll reach out Dr. Have a great day!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/6/18 8:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

3 weeks out, and you could be starting the "hormone dump," which can throw your emotions out of whack.

Estrogen is stored in our fat cells. When you lose a lot of weight very quickly, those hormones go flooding into your body all at once. That can absolutely cause mood swings and some depression.

Hormones aside, you're dealing with a very big life change, and it's natural to have some emotional work coming out of that as well as you confront your new reality.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/6/18 8:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A little bit of soreness is normal. You can use a heating pad or take some Tylenol to help with the pain. If you start running a fever, or your incisions get red/oozy/hot to the touch, then you've got trouble and should call your surgeon.

If you need a place to complain, I'd suggest starting a blog! You can do one here on OH, it's a great place to write about what you're going through.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CJ On Orcas
on 3/6/18 10:59 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I had some depression after surgery. I think it was hormones, and also the depression of giving up my best friend in the world, food. That messes with you, and it is hard to find a replacement.

Regarding abdominal pain, I suggest looking into the abdominal belt. About two weeks out I had a lot of pain on my left side, and people on OH suggested I get one. You can find them at most drug stores that carry durable medical equipment. Really it is just a wide elastic band (9-12") with Velcro that you cinch round your middle. I wore it day and night for about six weeks and it was incredibly helpful.

Shannon S.
on 3/6/18 6:06 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Welcome!

It's kind of strange to me that the incision pain is new after 3 weeks. Most surgeons do some extra stitching internally on your larger incisions to prevent hernia. I had pretty agonizing incision pain for at least a week. You could have irritated something in there by bending and twisting for sure. I had no bending/twisting/or lifting restrictions for 6 weeks. If the pain is bearable, there is no redness, swelling, warmth, drainage, or you do not have a temp that is a good sign, however I would just place a quick call to the surgeon's office to inform them of your new symptom.