X-Post Post-Op Diet DS

babettes_feast
on 2/15/18 6:54 am

When I saw my nut today, she gave me the pre-op diet. I meant to ask her for the post op diet so I can cook and freeze, but forgot. What was your diet like immediately post op? Is it strictly clear liquids (soups, etc.) and protein drinks or can you have other liquids and purees? Recipes and/or ideas most welcome!

Erin T.
on 2/15/18 7:18 am
VSG on 01/17/17

It's quite variable based on your program. Mine was full liquids for 2 weeks and then purees for 2 weeks (whi*****luded things like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, ricotta cheese, etc). After that, I was released to try whatever I wanted and I moved on to crockpot meats, etc.

Honestly, I would not have liked to prep much because my tastes were so jacked up. One day I could stomach something and the next I hated everything. I ate incredibly basic foods for weeks. Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg. Lunch: 1-1.5oz of deli turkey. Dinner: 1-1.5oz crockpot chicken thigh. I supplemented that with protein shakes as needed.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

pammieanne
on 2/15/18 7:24 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Yeah, I was also very iffy when I was finally able to try foods...

I think I was all liquids for 10 days? Then pureed/soft foods...

I would have a few spoon fulls of something like cottage cheese, hummus, baked ricotta, or yogurt and be full.

It wasn't until probably closer to a month out that I could eat enough to make it worth cooking much of anything.

Your tastes will be jacked up. If I were to stock up on anything, it would be a myriad of protein shakes and broths... and even then, 1 protein shake lasts half a day at first!

I wouldn't buy too much of anything.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

califsleevin
on 2/15/18 7:35 am - CA

As noted, it is quite variable from one program to the next. Ours didn't have any strictly liquid phase at all, starting with purees and soft foods like yogurt from the hospital on out depending upon individual tolerances, though it still tends to be liquid heavy at the beginning as that's mostly what you feel like having and that's where the protein is at then.

There are some websites out there such as the world according to eggface (IIRC) that have recipes and ideas for the bariatric world, though you do have to be careful and check them on your tracking app as they often mistake low carb for low calorie or weightloss friendly, and the two don't always go together.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Shannon S.
on 2/15/18 3:38 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Mine was clear liquid plus 3 protein shakes per day for 2 weeks. Then I got to add egg drop soup the third week for another two weeks, then straight to soft foods for two weeks (I think). It was pretty rough!

White Dove
on 2/16/18 6:23 am - Warren, OH

A DS diet might be drastically different from a RNY or VSG diet. I would ask on the DS board.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

califsleevin
on 2/16/18 12:20 pm - CA

From what i have seen, there is a lot more variation between programs and surgeons than there is between specific procedures, at least between the VSG and DS which has the same upper end to treat and heal (and the RNY seems to fall in place with this, too - some programs progress more aggressively than others. Longer term, once the initial healing and inflammation is past and one is into the prime weight loss mode, there may be some differences specified due to the differing malabsorption between the different configurations.

In short, first and best information source is your surgeon's practice, and then the online forums.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin