Gastric Bypass or Sleeve

Kathy S.
on 2/14/18 12:39 pm, edited 2/14/18 4:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi JennyPenny,

Here are some links that may help you with your research. Keep asking questions until you feel comfortable with your choice. As you are reading ask yourself "Can I Do This For The Rest Of My Life"? The one you say yes too would be your best choice. Good Luck and keep us posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Au_Contraire
on 2/14/18 9:48 pm

At 8 months post-op, I have no idea if I dum*****t. It sounds so miserable that haven't wanted to test it, plus, I really want to ride this honeymoon period for all it's worth! If I do I will probably discover that at some point in the future, and will try to regard that as a benefit, since it was sugar more than anything else that did me in!

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/18 11:12 am

I think you're very lucky to have been given the choice because too many surgeons are pushing the sleeve simply because it results in less operating time and the same payment for them.

I would SO choose the RNY - after eight years i still have significant malabsorption. If I eat fat there's a lot of forgiveness in my body .

When im working hard and dont have the time or energy to cook for myself I am forced to eat catered or restaurant type higher fat choices and im SO grateful most of the fat comes out the next morning. :)

Ditto when traveling, being hosted ... or going on a cruise.

I know far too many people suffering with GERD after the VSG - and also too many failures . The fact is if you have internal pain from GERD you'll overeat and constantly snack to temporarily alleviate the pain ... resulting in little or no weight loss through no fault of the patients' own.

I would simply insist on a DS if my surgeon proposed a VSG. They would probably much rather do a RNY in that case but both outcomes are great. ((())) hugs