Serious Concern About Psych Med Absorption with RNY or DS

Amy R.
on 2/8/18 7:49 am

First, what Gwen said. If there is a way to keep from revising, do that.

If there's not: I am on a good handful of meds. I take larger doses than many non-ops (I'm maxed out on my Cymbalta dose and also on my Seroquel). But having said that, I've actually been less prone to psychiatric difficulties than I was before my surgery. Some of that though is probably situational - I have so much more life to live than I did at 347 pounds. I don't discount that.

You're going to find quite the spectrum of answers to your question I imagine. And the only way to know for sure is to have the revision. Those are some pretty big dice to roll though unless you are completely out of other options.

Good luck. I hope you find what works for you.

Donna L.
on 2/8/18 8:40 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's interesting, Amy. I definitely had less depression after my sleeve...and I hope that it gets even better after my RNY myself. I am glad yours have improved too very much so :)

I didn't have the RNY yet, but I wonder if the bypass part also affects the brain receptors. A lot of the metabolic receptors that benefit from an RNY also are in the brain, too, but we don't study that as much, sadly.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Amy R.
on 2/8/18 9:01 am

you know, I never even thought of brain receptors.

It's such a benefit to have you here Donna. The stuff you bring up is always worth consideration. Obviously I can't change what I've already done. But the pre-ops absolutely benefit from your thoughts and knowledge.

Thanks for that.

Cosmos2112
on 2/8/18 1:02 pm

What about Xanax? .25mg dose hits me in 10-15 minutes. Is that normal?

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Donna L.
on 2/8/18 6:35 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Xanax is known for being quick-acting. Having said that, no idea about the actual time. I'd call your physician and ask. Alternatively, call your pharmacist, as they often know more.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life