Breasts

Caff
on 2/6/18 9:01 am

I'm down 80+ pounds now and for the last 1-2 months I have noticed significant changes to my breasts. It's extremely uncomfortable and kind of freaking me out.

Firstly I want to clarify that there is no way I am pregnant. This is certain. I also am struggling with infertility so would appreciate sensitivity when making possible pregnancy jokes. :)

Itching - intense itching across both, but especially behind the nipples, under the skin.

Soreness - I feel like I have PMS non-stop. The sides ache, taking bra off is painful, sleeping on my stomach is painful.

Shape - saggy, which isn't unexpected. But also very lumpy, especially on the sides. Reminds me of my breastfeeding days and it's freaky.

I did see my GP, and she is unsure whether to look into it further. She suspects it's mostly due to the structural changes to the tissues as a result of weight loss, but she's a bit mystified. I suspect my loss has also triggered some estrogen dumping.

I've Googled and didn't come up with much (or the suggestions are always pregnancy). I thought I'd post in here to see if any other women or MO men have experienced this.

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

Gwen M.
on 2/6/18 9:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

How old are you?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jester
on 2/6/18 9:17 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

When I was MO, I used to have the itching you describe in my left breast. That left breast was also a bit swollen compare to the right (I'm a man). The itching wasn't constant, but on and off - although more on than off. When I lost weight, that went away completely. Strangely, you can see that my left breast has a small amount of loose skin compare to my right which has none. That surprised me as it was noticeably larger, only with close inspection could you see it was a bit "puffier". I guess all those years of being slightly larger did a number on my skin!

So, that maybe of no help at all, other than I can confirm one of the symptoms, and note that it did eventually go away as I lost weight. So there is hope maybe?

peachpie
on 2/6/18 9:25 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Are you taking hormones? Using hormonal birth control?

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

jenorama
on 2/6/18 10:01 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I experience occasional intense itching, but mine doesn't feel like it's under the skin--it's definitely a surface itch.

I'm going to raise the scary breast cancer flag here--do you see anything like a rash? I did not realize that inflammatory breast cancer is a thing until a very dear friend got it. She's still with us, but she said that she didn't feel any lumps or anything that is a typical indicator. Apparently inflammatory beast cancer is a whole different, faster beast.

My own have gotten smaller, but I've never experienced any pain or shape changes as you describe, but we're all different. I would definitely follow up with the doc and maybe ask for a second opinion, especially with the pain.

Jen

Stitch83
on 2/6/18 9:18 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Inflammatory Breast Cancer was my first thought too. It is a scary, and unusual beast, the symptoms on the breast are different. It may be nothing and totally related to WLS but absolutely worth ruling this out early!

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/6/18 11:05 am

This may have nothing to do with your WLS, and it certainly needs further investigation. If your GP is reluctant to proceed, try your gyn. If you are 40, you can self refer for a mammogram.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/6/18 12:02 pm, edited 2/6/18 4:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your breasts aren't being properly supported by a good bra, they can become very sore. You can also get itchy if gravity is pulling down on the skin too much.

Go to the department store and get yourself fitted, and spend good money on a bra that fits you well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

theAntiChick
on 2/6/18 1:03 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Lots of good thoughts from others here.

The first thing that came to my mind was that I wonder if this could be caused by the hormone dump with the fat loss? I haven't heard any of these symptoms attributed to WLS before, and second someone else's thoughts to check with your medical team because something may be going on. But when you brought up the similarities to pregnancy symptoms, it made me think hormones. Because many of us have had the experience that when the fat is lost, the estrogen that's stored in them gets released into the body and we find ourselves crying at AT&T commercials and having mood swings and the like.

I hope you're able to get to the bottom of it.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Librarian67
on 2/6/18 3:00 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

As I lost weight, my breasts changed size and shape significantly. I do my monthly breast exams, but I could no longer tell what was normal breast tissue and what might be abnormal. I went to my PCP and she wasn't really sure either. She ordered a mammogram and a breast ultrasound. I am glad she did both because the US showed that I had a fair sized cyst on my right breast. It was benign and they were able to drain it right then.

I'm still a bit freaked by my breasts because they are so saggy and lumpy, but the radiologist reassured me that what is left is just breast tissue. I went from a 44F to a 32C so it is all new to me.

Push to get a mammogram and maybe a breast ultrasound. It will help rule anything out and you will feel reassured.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.