Newbie here - what is minimum protein amount?

MarinaGirl
on 2/2/18 12:14 pm

There is a lot of variation in recommended amount of protein to consume each day. This is also true in the scientific community. Some MDs and PhDs think most people consume too much protein, which puts undue pressure on your body and the environment, whereas others are big proponents of eating large amounts of protein. I've heard anywhere from 40-60g per day for females to 60-100g. Everyone is different so you may need to experiment a little for yourself to determine the right amount, but when in doubt follow your surgeon's plan and recommendations.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/2/18 12:47 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

From my understanding, the researchers who claim "people consume too much protein" are NOT looking at the WLS population.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/18 10:17 am

The WLS population is also disregarding vegans ,vegetarians and just the huge amount of occasionally ( But not everyday meat eating) carnivorous or pescatarian WLS patients who constantly talk about " gagging" at the though of protein shakes of even dense meat protein.

My eight years post op experience is that I neeed to eat a LOT LESS than the recommended proteins and I do great.

Excess Proteins stave off hunger .. true but t hey cause ketosis, eventual organ failures and even shortened lives.

Id much rather be a kale-eating semi vegan with all my chicklet-like teeth looking thirty years younger vastly hotter taller straighter than my arguing co patients .

on 2/3/18 3:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 3, 2018 at 6:17 PM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

The WLS population is also disregarding vegans ,vegetarians and just the huge amount of occasionally ( But not everyday meat eating) carnivorous or pescatarian WLS patients who constantly talk about " gagging" at the though of protein shakes of even dense meat protein.

My eight years post op experience is that I neeed to eat a LOT LESS than the recommended proteins and I do great.

Excess Proteins stave off hunger .. true but t hey cause ketosis, eventual organ failures and even shortened lives.

Id much rather be a kale-eating semi vegan with all my chicklet-like teeth looking thirty years younger vastly hotter taller straighter than my arguing co patients .

I'd love to see some evidence to back up your claims.

Not everything in life is about being hot.

Cathy H.
on 2/3/18 6:03 pm, edited 2/3/18 10:06 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Do you do any research on any of the drivel you spout here, or do you just sit down and start typing anything that pops into your little brain? I have yet to read a single post from you that has any science-based information. All you do is talk about how wonderful you are, how awesome your way of doing things is despite often being contrary to current WLS wisdom, and pat yourself on the back for how great you are (I'm surprised all that back patting hasn't caused you to develop tennis elbow!).

Losing a lot of weight due to WLS and keeping it off is great, but if you want people to take a single thing you write here seriously, then stop all of the self-praise and self-worship and try a little modesty and humility. Who else on here do you see talking about about cute and hot and desirable they are in every single post? Nobody. And if you're going to make statements like you did here, then back it up with some data; otherwise it's just more spewing of nonsense. AND when you make statements like this, and glorify your skewed eating regimen (less protein is okay because you do it and it works fine), it can be read by new members who, if they follow your advice, can do themselves irreparable harm.

Please do yourself and everyone else a favor and stop and think before posting in the future.

*To the rest of the forum, my apologies for being so blunt, but I could no longer remain silent. Read her posting history and you'll understand.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 2/3/18 7:05 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

on 2/3/18 7:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is a LONG established pattern. Check out her other accounts, meeow2 and meeow3; some of the historical stuff is even worse than what's been written recently.

At least her more recent posts seem to be written while sober, which is an improvement over some of the old stuff.

Knitter215
on 2/2/18 4:09 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

I'm 18 months out with VSG, still losing and exercise hard 8 hours a week - so I do eat/consume some carbs because if I don't my muscles rebel. However, I usually have anywhere from 60-100 grams of protein a day. I have a shake for breakfast almost every morning - usually with a handful of fruit and some Fairlife skim milk which adds another 13 grams of protein for a cup.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Shannon S.
on 2/2/18 5:55 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Initially post-op they wanted 60, but at my last post op (aprox. 2 months out) they bumped it up to 70. I get in about 65-70 per day. It is a challenge and I don't think I could do it without a protein drink.