Nascobal & bariatric vitamin system

artchikk
on 1/25/18 1:07 pm
RNY on 02/12/18

just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this vitamin system?
my surgeon sells them through their office but they have a monthly service that auto delivers to your home and it includes a 30 day supply of bariatric supplements: Bariatric Multi vitamin, iron, calcium D & Magnesium and a Nascobal B12 nasal spray. they have chewables and tablets. it looks like you can sign up to order them online and its $25 for a 30 day supply. not sure if this is a good deal or not but they require a prescription, and i found out my insurance covers it so I am going through them at least to start with.
anyone else heard of this? any good or bad experiences?

Amber
RNY 2/12/18
5'4 1/2" tall, HW : 315 lbs, Surgery Wt: 297lbs.
M1: -17.5lbs M2: -11.5lbs M3: -12lbs M4: -13lbs M5: -13lbs M6: -13.5lbs M7: -12lbs M8: -14lbs M9: -10.5lbs M10: -7.75lbs M11: -5.25lbs M12: -4lbs M13: -3lbs M14: -7lbs M15: -2lbs M16: -1lb **made it to goal!**

CW 148

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/25/18 2:44 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

From first glance, these look OK. Basically, you want 200% RDA of all vitamins, and the multi seems to provide that if you take 2 per day.

https://www.nascobal.com/hcp/bariactiv-chewable

Make sure you have written confirmation from your insurance company that these will be covered. Some insurance plans specifically exclude vitamins, even if you have a prescription.

It's definitely possible to get adequate supplements from the drugstore for under $25/month. I stock up at Walgreen's when they do a BOGO free sale and get the large bottles, and my supplements (multi, calcium, iron, B12) work out to about $10/month.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

artchikk
on 1/25/18 7:26 pm
RNY on 02/12/18

Thanks! I did call and have them run a test claim through my insurance plan and they said it was covered 100% with 0 copay. they did not ask me for a credit card or anything when I ordeed them so I'm assuming that means it's definitely covered. I have pretty decent insurance through my husband's employer so I was hopeful they would be covered. and since they were recommended by the surgeons office I'll go with it and see how they work for a while.

Janet P.
on 1/26/18 3:57 am

If you will have any malabsorption from your RNY please keep a very close eye on your labs. Many surgeons sell supplements. Mine did. I had the DS and I used Vita-4-Life, which was designed as an "all in one" for the DS. I had to supplement so much it just didn't make sense so I switched to individual vitamins (for me I followed Vitalady's DS regime which I tweaked for my personal needs).

Try it for 6 months and see how your labs look -- maybe it will work for you.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 2/9/18 1:06 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Insurance covering vitamins is a rare gift, so I'd give it a whirl.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes