Coffee Lover

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/18 1:00 pm

I am decaf all the way. I can not drink regular. I get crazier than I already am.

It makes my anxiety even worse. It always has.

I get decaf all the time from starbucks. I don't use sugar I use Splenda. It works for me. I also use cream.

I drink a ton of it. I was drinking it right after surgery.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/25/18 1:36 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

My program at the Cleveland Clinic required no coffee for the first 3 months after surgery, then decaf until the sixth month mark. They cited the dehydration myth and risk ulcers during healing as their reasoning. Paradoxically, one of the first things they brought me on my tray after surgery was a cup of regular coffee.

My surgeon, however, told me frankly that he the no coffee for six months and the no straw rule was absolutely not necessary. He asked only that I only have a cup a two a day during the first 3 months since I was healing.

I had no problems doing that as it tasted weird for quite a while.

I am four years out and drink at least three to four 16 oz coffees a day. I do count everything I add to them and am meticulous about it. A black cup of coffee averages 5 calories.

I started out using 2 packets of sweet n low (10 calories) and 2 TB of half and half (40 calories) for a total of 50- 55 calories per cup of coffee which came to 150 to 200 calories a day. Too many calories.

I dropped to 1 T of half and half (20 calories), then to whole milk (10 calories) -- then I changed to powdered stevia, and now I use no milk or cream and 5 drops of liquid stevia (2 calories). SO, I have been able to drop my per cup of coffee calories to 5 to 7 calories per cup or a total of 20 to 28 calories per day.

I have found that a lot of people who say they "love coffee" actually love cream (fat) and sugar. I think coffee is great, but if one is using more than 50 to 100 calories a day on it, it becomes an obstacle for weight loss.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Lyds85
on 1/25/18 1:49 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

Right now I have 2 cups of coffee every morning. Each cup I put 3 tsp of coffee mate powdered creamer and 1 tsp of sugar. It comes out to be 100 calories total. Im sure I will need to change this habit before surgery. I bought splenda and decaf coffee today, will I still be able to continue the creamer? Thoughts? I do love the cream and sugar ?

Gwen M.
on 1/25/18 1:59 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You could experiment with swapping out your cream for protein shake?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/25/18 6:11 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Coffee Mate, even the sugar-free type, is corn syrup, hydrogenated soybean oil and chemicals -- basically sugar and then horrible-for-you oils. You CAN continue anything you want -- as long as you are willing to accept the consequences of it.

Also, when you say teaspoons -- are you using a measuring teaspoon or a silverware teaspoon? You may be pretty surprised how much you are really adding if you are using flatware.

What I would do, if I were you, is taper. Try swapping out the corn syrup and chemical creamer for actual cream. There's very little carb/sugar in it, and the fat will be more satiating and healthy for you. Additionally, real food has real nutrients -- so at least your getting something for the calories you are spending. Then, slowly try lowering the amount or switching to whole milk and go from there.

Ingredients in Original Powdered Coffee Mate

Corn Syrup Solids, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut and/or Palm Kernel and/or Soybean), Sodium Caseinate (a Milk Derivative)**, Less than 2% of Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono- and Diglycerides, Sodium Aluminosilicate, Artificial Flavor, Annatto Color. **Not a Source of Lactose.

Ingredients in Lite Powdered Coffee Mate

Corn Syrup Solids, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut and/or Palm Kernel and/or Soybean), Less than 2% of Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Caseinate (a Milk Derivative)**, Color Added, Mono- and Diglycerides, Sodium Aluminosilicate, Sugar, Artificial Flavor, Annatto Color. **Not a Source of Lactose.

Ingredients in Sugar Free Powdered Chocolate Coffee Mate

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut and/or Palm Kernel and/or Soybean), Corn Syrup Solids**, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Sodium Caseinate (a Milk Derivative)***, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Less than 2% of Dipotassium Phosphate, Salt, Mono- and Diglycerides, Sodium Aluminosilicate, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium (Non-Nutritive Sweetener). **Adds a Trivial Amount of Sugar. ***Not a Source of Lactose.

Lyds85
on 1/25/18 7:27 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

Eeks, i didnt realize all that crap was in coffee mate... whoops. Also i thought a regular tsp was the same as a measuring tsp? How about 2% milk and a splenda

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/27/18 10:32 am, edited 1/27/18 2:36 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I know, right? I remember thinking the same thing when I started paying attention to the crap that was in stuff. Sugars, corn syrups, hydrogenated oils, are things to really watch out for.

What's funny is that my "before eating" would never even consider to count a "couple teaspoons of creamer" in a cup of coffee. To me, that was almost free!! -- it's not even food. 50 calories here and there seemed like nothing. But it's not, and that thinking got me to over 350 pounds.

This is one of the reasons that I believe using a food scale for solids, actual measuring cups/spoons for liquids/sliders and logging every single thing that I put in my mouth -- was so enlightening for me -- and critical for my continued success. When we suffer the disease of obesity, the great majority of us have no real sense of just how much we are eating. For example, 2 T of peanut butter is nearly 200 calories -- but that is MEASURED peanut butter. If I use a regular silverware spoon to scoop it out -- don't level it -- and have two -- I can promise that it is likely to be nearly double what is the measured amount.

Even after four years of weighing, logging, etc -- I still under estimate portions. Yes, I am a lot better now -- but to keep it calibrated I still do it -- and I still have obese eyes when it comes to measuring. This is part of the "surgery doesn't fix the brain part" -- and the work we have to do.

I didn't mean to be tangential to your original question, but I did think that this was important enough to respond.

Also, the splenda and 2% milk is fine -- it's certainly better than coffee mate. Just remember to count each packet of splenda as 5 calories/2 carbs. The USDA allows foods that are less than 5 calories to say 0 -- but it's really 4.2 calories and 2 carbs. I don't use 2% milk, because I do not limit naturally occurring fats (because removing them usually raises the sugar/carb content), but there's nothing wrong with it if that's what you normally drink. You may find that half and half or cream is more satisfying to you at first because it's creamier. Of course, everyone is different. Whatever you use, actually measure it. I know it's a pain, but getting accurate will help you to identify how you got here and how not to go back there in the future.

Just take it slow. Make only one change at a time and allow yourself to adjust. You got this!

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/18 6:09 pm

Very cool.. typ

Grim_Traveller
on 1/25/18 5:32 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Fantastic, detailed analysis.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

seattledeb
on 1/25/18 7:05 pm

If you drink a lot know start weaning yourself. Quick caffeine detox can cause a monster headache.

I quit for 6 months. On the way to work I stopped and drank a pot of black tea. I was so jumpy!

I do think there is something about WLS and coffee. Many long term vets really love their coffee. My trick is to keep the calories low.