Coffee Lover

Lyds85
on 1/24/18 10:28 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

How long after gastric bypass will I be able to drink coffee again? Can I have decaf? What am I allowed to put in it cream & sugar wise? What can I order at Starbucks? Would love to hear what you all drink as far as coffee goes.

Kasiana
on 2/25/21 6:30 pm

I am not a big lover of coffee, but my doctor recommended me to drink it because it helps in loosing weight.

Lina_Ann
on 1/25/18 3:04 am

It depends. Some of us can handle caffeine after surgery, some can't. I personally stay away from the sugar or use something like stevia, and use milk instead of cream. Try a couple sips of coffee and see how you handle it, or have decaf.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Insert Fitness
on 1/25/18 3:39 am

This is often a divisive topic. My surgical plan included switching to decaf, so I did.

i put cream in my coffee, and stevia. But most often now, i top it up with chocolate premier protein.

at Starbucks, my go to is a grande decaf americano with cream and sweetener.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/18 10:48 am
VSG on 01/12/17

My friends think I'm insane for putting parts of a protein shake in my coffee! I can't seem to convince them that it tastes just like those fancy liquid creamers they buy that's filled with tons of sugar and calories. Sure, a single serving of lets say.. coffee-mate creamer is 40 calories or something, but how many times do you see people using a single serving!? Most people dump it in until it tastes good.

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/18 4:10 am
VSG on 10/11/16

I drink coffee by the gallon. Most of it is decaf, but I usually drink 32 oz of caffeine coffee in the morning. I put a little half and half in it. I do not remember exactly how soon I started after surgery, but it was not long, maybe a month or so.

If you use cream or milk of any kind, you need to keep track of the calories. If you use sugar you are setting yourself up to fail. I use stevia on very rare occasions in iced tea or home made lemonade, but never in my coffee.

I will get coffee at Dunkin Donuts several times a week, but no sugar and no donuts. If I am traveling and Starbucks is all that is available, I stick to plain coffee or decaf with half and half. Their expensive sugary drinks are nothing more than paying someone lots of money to help you sabotage your weight loss efforts.

Writergurl08
on 1/25/18 4:32 am
RNY on 02/15/18

My surgical plan calls for switching to decaf. I normally order decaf coffee and add my own sugar free flavored creamer when I get to work. As a treat, I might order a skinny (sugar free fat free) latte with an extra shot (I prefer a stronger coffee flavor). They can make those decaf too.

some surgeons have no coffee restrictions, some want you to quit altogether. Ask your surgical team.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 1/25/18 4:52 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Most mornings I enjoy a medium iced latte from Dunkin. Almond milk and 2 pumps of the flavored creams.

I drink enough water full of electrolytes (mio, smar****er, vitamin water, nuun, etc) to not concern myself with dehydration. Heck, all my running nutrition has caffeine in it...

Just ensure you get enough electrolytes if you bring in caffeine.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Grim_Traveller
on 1/25/18 4:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The reason often given for avoiding coffee is the caffeine, because it is dehydrating. Except it isn't. Medical studies of caffeine show it only dehydrates very slightly, temporarily, in very specific situations. So, don't worry about caffeine.

Other stuff in coffee, tea, and soda should be avoided for at least a couple of months after surgery. They can inhibit healing, and should be avoided until you are completely healed. Anything else acidic should be avoided as well.

Coffee and tea also inhibit absorption of iron. You shouldn't drink them within 2 hours of iron supplements, or food you hope to absorb iron from.

Some people drink wayytoo many calories in beverages. I've seen coffees from Starbucks and Dunkins that have 700 calories. For months after surgery that will be your entire day's food budget. Even 100 extra calories per day from cream, sugar or whatnot is too much. 100 calories a day, for a year, is 10 pounds. In 10 years, it's 100 pounds. Stick to zero calorie sweeteners and creamers.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

The Salty Hag
on 1/25/18 6:29 am
RNY on 05/20/13

It depends on your surgeon's post-op eating plan. Some say no coffee at all, some are fine with decaf only. I'm really not sure any surgeon is okay with fully leaded coffee consumption soon after surgery, but there could be. Food plans are crazy different.

I went to decaf ( the horror! ) during my 30 day pre-op diet and for a "while" after surgery-I'm 4.5 years out and at this point I can't remember when I stopped decaf. I had two ulcers ( not sure if coffee played a part ) so during treatment, I stopped coffee altogether. ( again, the horror! )

I have at least two 12 ounce cups of fully leaded coffee with half and half and sucralose ( Splenda, basically ) every morning. I use a liquid sucralose called Sucra-drops. ( I buy it on Amazon. ) I love my coffee.

I will have Starbucks once in a while, and if I don't get a flat white and add Splenda myself, I'll get a skinny mocha-which uses sugar free syrups ( and skim milk-blech. I have them use whole milk. They look at me like I'm nuts, but whatevs. ) I've had to be very careful with Starbucks. Some of the baristas don't get that I HAVE to avoid sugar with the foofy drinks. I go inside to order and watch them like a hawk.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty