Cant pass a rockhard poop. What to do??

ErickSpencer
on 1/24/18 9:00 pm

i dont know if im in the right forum sction im sorry but i need an immediate relief.. so im having this hard stool in my anus and i cant pass it. I tried manually digging it with my finger but its too hard and it only pushes away. It happened to me before and i used suppository but it turned out to be more if a hellish experience because of having the urge to poop and hard stool at the same time. I still have a lactulose and dulcolax in my home. I was wondering if they can help soften the stool near the rectum area?? Cause i want to avoid going to ER and enema is very painful.

hollykim
on 1/25/18 9:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 25, 2018 at 5:00 AM Pacific Time, ErickSpencer wrote:

i dont know if im in the right forum sction im sorry but i need an immediate relief.. so im having this hard stool in my anus and i cant pass it. I tried manually digging it with my finger but its too hard and it only pushes away. It happened to me before and i used suppository but it turned out to be more if a hellish experience because of having the urge to poop and hard stool at the same time. I still have a lactulose and dulcolax in my home. I was wondering if they can help soften the stool near the rectum area?? Cause i want to avoid going to ER and enema is very painful.

you may have to manually try to chip/ dig small pieces off the big chunk.

Stool doftenerd etc are not gonna help the impacted amount st the anus.

Try to get s lot of lubricant around the mass.

If you can't get it you will prob have to go to the emergency room.

constipation can be s huge issue for us.

When you get this resolved, I would encourage you to use that stool softener regularly to avoid this happening again.

Good luck . I know how painful this is.

jenorama
on 1/25/18 10:17 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I agree with Holly. About a week and a half after surgery, I had an impaction issue and went to the emergency room. Thankfully, I managed to resolve the issue before manual intervention occurred, but it was an experience I do not care to repeat. Get yourself taken care of and talk to your doc about a preventive regimen.

Jen

Patty R.
on 1/25/18 7:50 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Hope you've had some relief by now, but a glycerine suppository or a small oil retention enema (these are meant to stay in for a little while) so it can soften the stool.

Good Luck!

Acedding27
on 1/26/18 8:20 am
VSG on 12/14/17

Hopefully, this is already resolved, but I had the same problem a few weeks ago.

I manually dis-impacted myself a little with my hand (got a rubber glove from work and used a slight back and forth scissoring motion.) Then, my dear wife ran to wal-mart and bought a pack of saline enemas. She gave me one and it allowed me to pass the stool after two to three minutes. Instant relief. Remember that you must feel everything run out of you and drink an extra bottle of water to make up for the sodium that your anal gland absorbs.

Since then, I take a stool softener twice a week on M/TH (equate generic brand) with my vitamin in the morning, and I have had no further trouble. I also take a half dose of miralax every few days.When I started added in some fiber to my protein, it helped tremendously, as well. If you are still in pain at this point, I would go to the ER. This can cause a perforation in your bowl if not treated, not to mention the other issues.

Good luck!

Amanda 12/2016 HW: 393 11/2017 Consult: 378 12/2018 SW: 350

2/2018: 309 3/6/2018: Broke a barrier! 297 4/2018: 286 5/2018: 279

Pre-op: -28 M1: -25 M2: -16 M3: -12 M4: -11 M5: -7

Short-term Goal: 250 by August 15th!