Pale Poop?

Lina_Ann
on 1/24/18 4:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm a little over 2 weeks out from RNY and I have noticed my poop is...well...pale. Like, SUPER pale. Is this normal?

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

rocky513
on 1/24/18 4:13 pm - WI

Yep. Your liver is working overtime to flush out the fat during your rapid weight loss phase. Your liver enzymes are probably high too. An over worked liver means pale poo. If it worries you, call your surgeon. I had pale poo for months. It eventually fixed itself the closer I cot to goal.

The over worked liver is also why a WLS peep should not drink alcohol.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

MarinaGirl
on 1/24/18 7:34 pm

I had that early on too but my poops have been fine since around month 4 post gastric bypass.

catwoman7
on 1/25/18 5:34 am
RNY on 06/03/15

yep - had that too. I fretted about it but read that pale stool is often a sign of malabsorption, but that liver explanation Rocky made makes a lot of sense, too. At any rate, we know both of those things are going on with RNY patients, especially early out, so the symptom (pale poop) makes sense. It does correct itself after awhile - I think mine was back to normal color about two months post-op.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/18 12:26 pm

It usually means you're still enjoying some malabsorption of fats years after surgery.

In my case it always coincides with having eaten higher fat choices the day before like restaurant food or fatty choices at home.

McKinkle
on 3/23/18 4:23 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 06/07/17

Hello,

I am still experiencing this issue and it is probably because I have been making bad food choices since xmas and what you say would actually fit in very well.

Thank you for sharing this as it has given me the boost to really sort myself out as clearly my liver is still struggling.

It has given me the boost to my head that I think I needed as simply just knowing that I was doing wrong is never enough for me.