Hernia and esophagitis

Angela Stoot
on 1/22/18 4:56 pm - Crosby, TX
I had a EDG done today and my results were hiatal hernia and esophagitis. He said my esophagus is inflamed, I am a bit nervous has anyone experienced this? Not sure what my treatment options my be, he did mention possible bypass but I am wondering if that's my only option. I was banded in 2005, sleeved in 2014, I'd like to hear from anyone who may have experienced this and their results.

Angela Stoot         Banded 08/01/05  = Revision to Sleeve 09/18/2014

hollykim
on 1/22/18 5:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 23, 2018 at 12:56 AM Pacific Time, Angela Stoot wrote:
I had a EDG done today and my results were hiatal hernia and esophagitis. He said my esophagus is inflamed, I am a bit nervous has anyone experienced this? Not sure what my treatment options my be, he did mention possible bypass but I am wondering if that's my only option. I was banded in 2005, sleeved in 2014, I'd like to hear from anyone who may have experienced this and their results.

esophagitis is irritation of the esophagus probable from acid reflux caused by the vsg.

Bypass is the only option since the sleeve is causing the reflux and the rdophagitis.

Intreated esophagus can cause Barrett's Esophagus, a pre cancerous condition.

repairong the hiatal hernia resolves the acid reflux for some, but not all.

Donna L.
on 1/23/18 11:59 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have this issue with a VSG, and I'm going to revise to RNY to resolve it. Diet changes and also PPIs helped, but I still have very bad reflux.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Angela Stoot
on 1/23/18 12:12 pm - Crosby, TX
I also have bad reflux, so much so, the chest pains feels like a heart attack. Thanks for replying

Angela Stoot         Banded 08/01/05  = Revision to Sleeve 09/18/2014