Endoscopy?

Lyds85
on 1/22/18 4:33 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

I also meant to ask earlier if anyone has had an endoscopy done pre op, and how it went? I have to have one because on my heavy use of ibuprofin previously and i guess they need to make sure my stomach is good.

Gwen M.
on 1/22/18 6:29 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I had to have one pre-op. The surgeon found an ulcer (I'd had toradol a few weeks earlier due to a kidney stone). I had to take Nexium for a month and then go back and get a second endoscopy to verify that it was resolved.

Super easy. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jess Says Yes
on 1/22/18 6:35 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

I had to have one prior to surgery (my doc requires all patients to do so). It was over and done very quickly. They found a hiatal hernia (very common in SMO people) and repaired it during surgery.

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

NHPOD9
on 1/23/18 9:37 am

I've had a few done post-op, as initially I had a stricture that needed opening, and then they determined I have Barrett's Esophogas, so I have to have regular check-ups to monitor its progress.

You'll be put under mild sedation ("twilight anesthesia") and the whole process, from check-in to walking out the door, takes less than 2 hours. However, because you were sedated, they do not let you drive after, so have a way home.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Donna L.
on 1/23/18 12:02 pm, edited 1/23/18 4:02 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've had one pre-op and one post-op. It literally takes longer to prep for the EGD than to get it done, haha. Mine were done under sedation, so a friend drove me there and back. I had a bit of a scratch throat, but was fine otherwise.

Pre-op got me a Celiac diagnosis. The post-op one indicated Celiac damage looked way better, but also heralded the start of last season's premiere of GERD Gone Wild, a trend which has unfortunately continued. However, it was interesting to read the report and see what they could find.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

MTS31801
on 1/24/18 6:59 am

I had an endoscopy too! The pre op was longer than the EDG and nerve racking. I just wanted it done with. However, the receptionist asks you a ton of questions and then the prepping nurse asks you a hundred more. My anesthesiologist came in and went over the procedure( at that point I could've cared less just want the damn thing over). Anyhow the procedure took 15 minutes while the pre op took a little over an hour. The staff was nice an signed a card an gave it to me when I woke up. Just a little heads up...... I was on an IV and when I woke up I had to pee like a race horse! My bladder actually hurt.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/24/18 7:59 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had one done pre-op. It was required of all patients in my bariatric center.

As others commented, the pre-op was longer than the procedure which was less than 10 to 15 minutes.

Mine came back clear.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Janet P.
on 1/24/18 9:04 am

I think endoscopes are a fairly common pre-op test. I had my surgery almost 15 years ago and had one. I think I also had one post-op at some point. It's easy peasy - they give you something that should knock you out and you'll wake up as if you had a good sleep. I think my endoscope was done at the same time as my colonoscopy (required because I had the DS).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Asparagus
on 1/24/18 12:36 pm

My clinic requires them on everyone. I just had mine done last week. It was done under light sedation and was only in the procedure room for 5 mins. Super quick. I had a slight metal taste the next day but that's it.