Gas - how bad is it?

Laura in Texas
on 1/22/18 9:58 am

If I eat a lot of sugary sweets, I have gas, but it is still controllable.

I can honestly say in the 9 years since my surgery, I have never passed gas in front of my students, in church, or when I am with my SO

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/18 10:01 am

10 years out coming this May with Gastric Bypass and I do not fart anymore then I did before surgery unless as everyone else says I am eating too much or not right things. It is not worth worrying about!

catwoman7
on 1/22/18 2:32 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I don't remember ever having an issue with that. It's about the same as it was pre-surgery for me.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/18 10:52 am, edited 1/24/18 2:54 am

NO!!! I haven?t had any serious gas issues since surgery ... ok I once had to hide behind a magazine on a six hour cross country flight because I let a stinky one free .. but that was less than 90 days post op and it hasn't once happened since.

Callous young Guys brag about making far less offensive smells all the time lol. Just join the human race , laugh and enjoy your hot new post op body :)

MickeyDee
on 2/2/18 4:09 am

Devrom--it's a fecal deodorant, chewable tabs. Available online

Or get a dog to blame it on.

The Devrom is cheaper.

LizzyM
on 2/3/18 6:30 pm

My BFF had gastric bypass and told me her toots were " paint peelers"! But she ate a lot of junk!

Liz

7 lbs. lost preop included in total
Valerie G.
on 2/9/18 1:13 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The gas comes from things like simple refined carbs (bread, pasta, sugar, etc), artificial sweeteners, etc. These are the most common triggers, but some may be especially sensitive to things like milk or onions. Those may take some time to narrow down, but know that most gas is completely controllable.

How do I know? I have the duodenal switch, and it is notorious for gas, diarrhea, and all kinds of misconceptions that clueless doctors tout with no real first-hand knowledge.

I am a corporate trainer, so I spend a lot of time in front of a group with all eyes on me. I can assure you that I have never had an embarrassing moment because of my DS. My rule is no experimental eating during work. I don't want to take the chance of bloating or gas. If I stick to things I know don't affect me (meat, cheese and veggies), I'm home-free.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes