Hello

DonRobbie
on 1/20/18 4:02 pm
DS on 12/18/18

Thanks all, current plan is to save up and try to do a cash pay in Mexico. Probably will take a year or so. Worst case I'll be able to get a loan from my 401k in about 3 years.

So right now I'm working on trying to lose a bit of weight and getting more active. I'm not going for a massive drop. I've been on this train enough times to know how that ends. Hard to say what the breaking point is since a lot of the damage is cumulative but it seems like 350 or so is when I started feeling exceptionally awful.

I'm hoping if I can work off 10-15 pounds and maintain that I can keep going for a while longer.

DonRobbie
on 1/23/18 1:48 pm
DS on 12/18/18

Confirmed that it's excluded. They will send me literature on how to lose weight, but that's the extent of their weight loss coverage.

My out of pocket going it alone in Mexico is probably a wash to a couple thousand higher. My current estimate of the total cost of a gastric sleeve in Mexico plus airfare and travel expenses is about $6000. My policy had a $900 self pay then a 20% copay afterwards (up to an out of pocket maximum of $9000). So they'd tie in out of pocket costs at approximately $25000 (which isn't crazy high for a sleeve in the U.S.).

It's still not my first choice. I'd feel a lot warmer and fuzzier going to a nearby doctor and staying inside the US and my insurance, but I can't swing self pay in the US. 6k is a heavy lift for me, best number I've seen in the area is 15k, which would be several more years of saving. I might be able to last 5 years without my body failing but I doubt I could make it 10.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/23/18 2:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like a good plan.

Keep checking various boards here. There are several programs in Mexico that are very highly regarded. Since you have some time, you can find the one in which you have the most confidence.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

diane S.
on 1/25/18 10:56 am

All the advice from others here is good. I had to wait about 10 months from the time I made my decision until I could actually have the surgery (various reasons). But I did decide that I could at least start changing my habits right away. So I cut back on sweets and became a little more active and lost 17 lbs over that 10 months. So I suggest you work on your soda habit and find something else to drink at work. Maybe just skip the sugar but not caffeine. GL DS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Mary K.
on 1/27/18 9:00 am

DonRobbie,
Congrats on your decision to get better and improve your health. It is the number one reason to do the surgery, and the most important one. All the other nice stuff like looking better and doing more is the side benefit. Online support groups are great...another good support group that might be in your area is Take Off Pounds Sensibly (TOPS). You can search for their website online and see if there is a group near you. They are good because you weigh in once a week and share. People are usually more consistent than weigh****chers, and they are cheaper to join and stick with (like $30 a year, and $5 a month in dues). I think in-person support is even better if you can find it. It helps with accountability and not feeling alone in your struggle.

Of course online groups are great too! That's why I'm here :-)

One good thing to try to do before you get the surgery is see how you tolerate liquid meal replacement...it can help you lose the 30lbs they usually like you to lose prior to surgery. I am really liking the Nectar fruit drinks...so far I like the Caribbean Cooler and Grapefruit ones...you can replace a meal or snack with them and they are only 100 calories and 23 g protein. I also like the Pure Protein chocolate powder on Amazon.

Feel free to contact me on here if you need extra support. Also, you're at the beginning of a great journey toward self-care and self-compassion.

Good luck :-)
Mary K.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
Do or Do Not, There is no TRY. - Yoda

RNY- 2/2008- Before Surgery-336-Lowest Weight- 248 Current Weight (w regain) 284.4 GOAL->200