Help??

lesliec
on 1/10/18 4:08 pm

I am almost 12 years post op and until now I have had little to no problems lucky I know and I am very thankful for that BUT lately I am having some MAJOR problems and I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues and what was found to have caused them and what you had to do to get it resolved ANY input would be so appreciated!

Back story ... I had roux en y gastric bypass, I am currently 175lbs , so far my bloods come back normal for the most part minus my calcium and b12, my dr also found that I tested positive on an ana panel, I had a ct scan that showed nothing, I am starting to feel really crazy... but here are my symptom

• Pain in my left side below my rib cage that dulls on days but never goes away and can get so bad that I end up in tears
  • Blood in my bms which go from diarrhea to constipation but always includes blood
    • when I get the feeling I need to go I have to go at that moment or I am in trouble because there are times that holding it is NOT an option
    • my dr had me do stool samples and sent them off sure enough there was blood and she has set me up to be referred to a GI
  • At times I am so fatigued that I feel like my body is covered in quicksand and the simplest of tasks seem so difficult.
  • I am always bloated to the point that sometimes I look pregnant and no that is not possible
    • they basically test me for that every time i go in for something else which makes me laugh at times because its like really i just had that done like 2 weeks ago and swear it can't have changed
    • my hands and feet stay swollen
  • I stay hungry but that doesn't surprise me seeing has how little stays in my body
  • I get dizzy and lightheaded a lot as of lately
  • my finger tips and toes tingle
  • my feet are always cold to the point my toes look so white that sometimes they are purple

Thank you in advance for any input I am currently looking for a new dr in my area because the surgeon that did my gastric is no longer in practice and honestly days like today have left me so down and defeated. My days off from work end up spent at home on the couch because i feel so bad i can't go and basically according to the drs I am fine it could just all be in my head -- UHM NO I can't use my head to make blood appear in my stool the rest I can understand because all my tests results seem to show I'm ok but come on cut me a break!

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/18 7:43 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

I think you should get a thorough work up with your gastroenterologist for colon cancer, just in case. Keep us posted.

lesliec
on 1/11/18 9:57 am

Will def keep posted finding this site was a saving grace for me yesterday because i was pretty much at my wits end! just finding people who have went through the same thing and that make me feel like I'm not crazy has helped!

NYMom222
on 1/10/18 8:26 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Did you check your ferritin? You can have low ferritin and normal hemoglobin. So you could think your iron is fine and it's not. That and blood loss would absolutely make you tired.

Just because you are in the normal range does not mean you are in the optimal range. For example Vit D 20 is normal, but 60 range is optimal.

Feet and toes tingle could be B-12 or thiamine- you may need more.

You do need to see a GI Doc.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Grim_Traveller
on 1/11/18 4:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

What, exactly, is your ferritin and B12? Doctors often say say are fine, when, for us, they are not.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lesliec
on 1/11/18 12:27 pm

B12 - 310 PG/ML

I don't have a ferritin listed on my results

NYMom222
on 1/12/18 8:03 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

That B12 is low even if it is considered 'normal' The lab I use even puts on their report that below 500 dome people have symptoms.

I had numbness in fingers and toes at 500. I keep it over 1000 now.

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

lesliec
on 1/13/18 2:31 pm

According my doctor and the lab results sheet it is considered to be in the normal range but it seems like from the values of a few of the results i am only barely in what is "normal" like if its suppose to be 3.6 i will be 3.7 but I'm not sure how much of a difference that really is I mean like when I look at it its only a tenth difference but is that enough to cause a problem. ( My question for my next visit is what difference is high enough to make a physical difference )

NYMom222
on 1/13/18 4:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I know for me I was higher than you on B-12 and having low B-12 symptoms. You could be in the 20's on Vit D and while normal not optimal. Optimal is 50-60.

Difference between normal and optimal

Save

Save

lesliec
on 1/13/18 4:21 pm

Thank you that is something I was trying to figure out - like if .... is normal but seems low to me what is the score you need to be doing well in life with no symptoms (optimal is the term I was looking for) i know everyone is different due to their body and body type but is there a website that shows what ranges are for "optimal" ?