Doctors in north bay that approve

Kayley1982
on 1/4/18 6:22 pm

Hi, my doctor keeps denying me the surgery because he doesn't believe in it. I live in north bay. Which doctors did other people have that backed them up for the surgery?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/5/18 7:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Does your insurance company require a referral? Can you start by going to a bariatric surgeon without getting a recommendation from a GP?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathy1212
on 1/5/18 8:01 am

My doctor was against it too at first, so I told him I wanted the referral to orientation to get information only, rather than rely on the internet. He referred me and I signed up, lol.

Now he's my biggest fan.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Kathy1212
on 1/5/18 8:04 am

The other thing I wanted to say, is that if he doesn't have any medical reasons why you personally shouldn't have surgery, it doesn't matter if he believes in it or not. He can't with hold a medical procedure based on his beliefs.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Ginnny
on 1/5/18 1:14 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

If he won't make the referral to OBN for you then go to a Walk-in clinic. Doesn't matter what dr. makes the referral but you do need one.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

helferships
on 1/8/18 5:25 am
RNY on 11/14/16

Do you meet the OBN guidelines? I am pasting them below. If you do I don't think it is appropriate for your doctor to deny you a referral. You might consult the OBN

Eligibility:

18 years of age and older
BMI greater than or equal to 40
BMI greater than or equal to 35 but less than 40. With at least one of the following comorbidities (as determined by your physician):
Coronary heart disease
Type II Diabetes mellitus
Hypertension
Diagnosed sleep apnea
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Ineligibility (not limited to):

Current drug or alcohol dependency (within 6 months of referral)
Recent major cancer (life threatening, within last 2 years)
Untreated or inadequately treated psychiatric illness