Starting my Sleeve Journey and I Already have Received Bad News, HELP!

22bee22
on 1/3/18 8:16 pm

Last month I started the insurance required 6 month process of getting a sleeve done. I had my lab work done and I received a call back today with the results. She told me that my TSH (a thyroid hormone from my understanding) levels are really high, (which I think is linked to HYPOthyroidism) and that I also have a vitamin D deficiency. I'm only 25, and i'm weighing in at 270 lbs right now. I knew I have not felt well for maybe 2 years now, but I always blamed my weight for everything!! Now all my miserable symptoms are starting to make sense after reading more and more about this. I guess i'm just looking for some real life support from others that have experience in this and a few Q's. I am starting medication tomorrow but the doctor didn't request to see me right away, she wants to see me in 6 weeks. Is this odd?? I've read there are different stages to this and with my TSH levels already being so high i'm worried it's already done damage to me. Does anyone know if my weight caused this to begin with? I have gained 65 lbs in 2 years and have not changed a single thing from my day to day eating. Will this effect me being qualified for surgery??? Even if I get the surgery will it still be very difficult for me to lose weight?? I am hoping this medications i'm starting will make it easier to lose weight, but I just don't have much hope right now.

Thank you for taking your time reading this

Lina_Ann
on 1/3/18 9:09 pm

Your thyroid can play a huge part in your weight. I think your doctor wants you on this new medication for 6 weeks to see if it helps and makes you lose weight. If this medication works, you may not need surgery.

It's super common to have low vitamin D. Mine was extremely low and I started taking a high dose of vitamin D everyday and now I'm fine 3 months later. Has your doctor talked about putting you on vitamins?

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

peachpie
on 1/4/18 1:35 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Getting on Thyroid meds won't impact her metabolism so much so that she would not need surgery.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

NYMom222
on 1/3/18 11:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes high TSH is associated with hypothyroidism. Getting your thyroid regulated may or may not make you lose weight. You might lose some, but not all of it.

I was regulated on thyroid medicine for years and still couldn't lose the weight.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MarinaGirl
on 1/4/18 8:10 am, edited 1/4/18 12:11 am

The 6 weeks is to see if the dose of the new thyroid medicine is sufficient to bring your TSH into normal range. I would make sure your T3 and T4 levels are tested too. I have autoimmune thyroiditis (aka Hashimoto's, which is a form of hypothyroidism), and have been on 2 different medications for years to normalize my thyroid. It is not the main reason I could not lose weight; I still required WLS. Note that as I have lost weight post gastric bypass my medicine dose has had to be adjusted accordingly (twice). Please also learn more about how to take your medicine properly for consistent absorption (i.e. take it at the same time everyday, wait to eat or drink coffee, do not take heartburn, iron, or calcium pills within 4 hrs, etc.).

Knitter215
on 1/4/18 10:16 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Correcting thyroid levels is a long process and cannot be rushed. Your body needs to get used to the dose of the medicine, then be retested to see where you are. It can take 6 months or more to get regulated so don't be upset by that. As to the Vitamin D, that's easily fixed. Neither of these things should affect your insurance covering the surgery. Most carriers (yours may be different) look at your starting weight to determine if you qualify and then use the 6 month period to test whether you follow direction, stick to a new diet plan, etc. all of which are necessary for success post surgery.

I've had thyroid issues and vitamin D deficiency since I was about your age and I'm 56 now and fine. So long as I take my meds.

Best of luck.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

NatureLover888
on 1/7/18 5:25 pm
RNY on 12/29/17

Pretty much EVERYONE in the Northern Hemisphere of the planet has chronic low Vitamin D. I know someone who took 5,000 units of Vitamin D3 for a YEAR before her levels reached normal! The thyroid issue is closely tied with lethargy, being tired, cold fingers and toes, excessive hair growth, and easy weight gain. I would definitely do the medication to see if it helps. I would also plan to continue working towards your sleeve if you have more than 100 pounds to lose.

betorah
on 1/15/18 5:56 am - West Hartford, CT

My hypothyroidism was diagnosed in 2004. I estimate that I had been suffering from it for 6 years. I, too, had many symptoms that I had put down to being obese. Other commenters are correct. Your physician wants to see how much the dose s/he perscribes changes your TSH level.

Some things to note:

Thyroid medication will cause calcium to leech from your bones. Start taking calcium NOW! My mother started taking Synthroid 60 years ago and has been thin all her adult life. For the last 20 years, her life has been one bone break after another. In May, she broke her neck and in early November she shattered her femur.

Certain Foods, such as raw broccoli and cauliflower can interfere with the effects of your medication. Google it in order to see what foods you should minimize your consumption of.

Do NOT take the generic form of Synthroid. It has been shown to be unreliable up to 30% of the time. Twice during my initial first year with the lapband I had to have my dosage changed because of this as it interfered with my weight loss. My prescriptions are now written "Synthroid only."

You won't start shedding significant weight simply because you're medicated (if only this were true), but it will make losing easier and gaining less likely.

An optimal TSH level is between 1.0 and 4.0. Make sure your level is brought down to this range. Old thinking accepted a higher level. You will feel the best if your TSH level is between 1.0 and 2.0. I've had my prescription level changed twice in order to achieve this.

The amount prescribed that works for you this year may be wrong for you down the road. I've had my prescription increased twice. My best friend has had hers lowered once.

Good luck to you!