Let's Review and Renew for 2018 Together!

Librarian67
on 12/28/17 3:14 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Thanks for starting this thread. I too don't like New Year's resolutions, but I do a yearly evaluation and goal setting at my birthday in April. I like your perspective though so I will chime in.

I had my surgery on February 28 and I made my goal about 2 months ago. I am really proud of my progress both in weight as well as improved health. I have been exercising consistently since surgery and that is a great accomplishment. What I can't seem to get a handle on is strength training. I keep stopping and starting and can't get a handle on consistency. I also made myself a challenge to do the 6 flights of stairs at my office and I can run 3 flights, but I need to train on the additional stairs. Also with the colder weather, I have quit running. I was trying to do a couple miles on the treadmill, but the boredom drove me nuts. I don't know whether I will pick it up again or whether I will just swim and walk. I really would like to do a 5K, but I may have to walk it rather than run.

Since I hit goal, I have been lax on logging every mouthful. I need to get back to it to keep myself honest and on track.

I have been very absorbed with my health this year for obvious reasons, but I would like to work on several knitting and crocheting works in progress. One is a baby blanket that I had intended to give to a friend's baby, but the baby is here and that didn't happen.

I would also like to work on my Spanish language skills. I work with and live near so many people whose first language is Spanish and I'd like to improve my speaking skills.

I think that is plenty for now.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Kathy S.
on 12/28/17 10:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Librarian67,

Congratulations on reaching goal! Strength training is the BEST! If you can afford it hire a professional to train you and get a routine set up. Everyone is different and it is hard to know how much weight to use/progress to on what body part.

A little advice from an oldie but goodie Stick to the basics, as soon as you start to feel you got this and don't need to do all the things you did to get to goal that scale will start to move. I will send you a list of basics and if you stick with them 13 years later you will still be at goal

Happy New Year

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Fredbear
on 12/28/17 6:38 am, edited 12/27/17 10:38 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

Here's my list of things to keep doing:

• Keep walking and running
  • Keep doing stair climbing
  • Keep going to the gym 3-4 times per week
  • Keep eating healthily
  • Keep eating the right amount of food (ie., keep logging)
  • Keep loving my spouse
  • Help my spouse through the WLS recovery process... VSG tomorrow!

Things I also want to do:

• More bike riding (spouse has flat feet, biking is something we can do together)
  • Climb the 7 mountains here in town (2.5 down)
  • Get more writing done, performed, and published
  • Learn to needlepoint

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Kathy S.
on 1/3/18 11:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Happy New Year Fredbear

You have done amazingly and I look forward to all your encouragement and inspiration for this year as well

Gwen M.
on 12/29/17 7:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm a big fan of SMART goal setting. I revisit my goals monthly to make sure I stay on track and to tweak goals as necessary. Here are my goals for 2018:

Last year my goal process involved figuring out the main categories of things that were important to me in my life. I started my 2018 goals similarly.

Professional Development/Education

1. INELDA training
  2. Continue BS classes
  3. Pass all classes with minimum grade of B.
  4. Find a job in my field

Running

1. Get back to running and training after hiatus for plastics (this is vague, not SMART)
  2. Complete second half marathon in March - DC Rock n Roll (registered) (might not be able to do this due to surgery recovery, but we'll see)
  3. Navy Air Force half marathon in September (registered)
  4. Baltimore 5k in October (registered)
  5. MCM10K in October (not available for registration yet)

Fitness

1. Log at least 15 minutes of exercise OR 5000 steps EVERY SINGLE DAY
  2. Achieve crow pose in yoga practice
  3. 3. At least one fitness class a week for first quarter. At least two for second quarter. At least three for third quarter. At least four for fourth quarter.

Weight

1. Achieve normal BMI (145lb)
  2. Body Composition Scan

Self Care

1. Continue monthly massages
  2. Do one fun thing at least half the days of the month just for me

Cooking/Food

1. Pick one physical cookbook when meal planning each week and choose at least one recipe from that book for the week's plan
  2. Blog all recipes from cookbooks
  3. Blog all weekly meal plans
  4. Continue Cookbook Club (we meet quarterly)

Relationships

1. See my mom once a month
  2. One fun thing a week with Art aside from watching TV
  3. One fun thing a week with Lance aside from watching TV
  4. Friendships - Quality weekend time with friends at least once a month.
  5. Friendships - Lunch date with a friend at least once a month.

Make a Change

1. Local County Literacy Council - I need to think about this more, I've done the training but...
  2. Attend a meeting in the area at least once a month
  3. Get involved with local Girls on the Run Chapter

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kathy S.
on 1/3/18 11:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Wow Gwen, amazing! Keep us posted on all your goals

CC C.
on 12/29/17 8:26 pm, edited 12/29/17 12:27 pm

For the first time in a long time I'm motivated to set goals. It's amazing what removing the weight anxiety/burden does for your overall outlook on life! I went from everything feeling overwhelming to a future of possibilities...

Health

• Maintain my weight!
  • Begin strength training with a personal trainer
  • Weigh myself and track my food daily
  • Increase my hiking distances from 7 miles to 10-12, hike at least 2-3 times a week
  • Pursue plastic surgery

Creativity

• Take an oil painting class
  • Practice drawing
  • Finish a knitting project
  • Read at least 2 books a month

Organization

• Clean out and organize all my closets, drawers, and cupboards including garage

Social

• Make plans with friends at least twice a month
  • Entertain at my house
  • Say yes to invitations

Soul

• Find a few new regular volunteer opportunities
  • Keep a daily gratitude journal
Kathy S.
on 1/3/18 11:51 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I Love all you have posted Cecily! I may steal a few Keep us posted on how you are doing!

VSGAnn2014
on 1/3/18 4:47 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

I love everything you guys have written!

Haven't gotten around to any big-view 2018 resolutions or plans. Yet. May. May not.

I will say this though: After 3 years and 5 months of being sleeved, losing 100+ pounds, and maintaining my weight loss brilliantly by doing everything I need to KEEP doing to maintain my weight loss, I'm loving the fact that this will NOT be on my 2018 resolutions list:

1. Lose weight.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.