One Week post sleeve.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/20/17 10:44 am
RNY on 12/31/13

They were wrong.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

White Dove
on 12/19/17 6:54 pm - Warren, OH

You are just too swollen and not healed enough inside for those foods. In a few months you will be able to eat that without pain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Shannon S.
on 12/19/17 7:33 pm, edited 12/19/17 11:34 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I?m not going to pretend to know more than your surgeon. Seems like different surgeons advance foods differently. What I do know is severe pain isn?t good. Call your surgeon. They should have an oncall service that will page him, and you may have to possibly go to the ER. I have never had pain like this. I did recently eat too fast and had some discomfort, but it was more like a stuck food in my esophagus feeling vs gut wrenching pain. This is concerning. You should ere on the side of caution and get checked out ASAP.

califsleevin
on 12/19/17 8:43 pm - CA

Progressions vary widely between programs; ours advances a bit more quickly than this one (pureed lettuce in the hospital - eeewwwww), but the major caveat in there is that we test new foods one at a time for tolerance - if they work fine, that's great, but if not, back off to what is known and try it again in a couple of weeks. Individual tolerances vary widely, too, as inflammation in the stomach will vary person to person. So, it seems as if you may be advancing a little quickly for you, even if it is within acceptable guidelines of your program.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/20/17 6:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You are pushing your diet too fast, and your food was likely not blended well enough.

FYI-- if you eat things that you shouldn't while your stomach is still healing, you could blow a leak in your staple line or otherwise injure yourself. YOU COULD LITERALLY DIE.

Slow down.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mschwab
on 12/20/17 9:24 am
RNY on 11/21/14

You are progressing your diet much too fast. Listen to the people that have given you excellent advice. They have been through this, and know what does and does not work. I am willing to bet that your surgeon has never had bariatric surgery.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Grim_Traveller
on 12/20/17 10:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It doesn't surprise me, even a little, that you had such horrible pain eating that. At one week? That's just unreasonable. Tell your surgeon and your nutritionist to have surgery, and then try eating those things at one week out.

Inconceivable.

You can puree stuff all you want, but unless you have a demolecularizer, you will never puree it enough to be safe for a brand-new post-WLS stomach.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Donna L.
on 12/20/17 3:02 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Everyone heals different, too. Even if a surgeon advances someone early that doesn't mean their stomach will agree. Harvey (my sleeve) is the organ equivalent of the old man from Up. He is always grumbling about something. I spent 4 weeks on liquids as a precaution. This may sound annoying, but a leak is far more vastly annoying.

Reintroduce any new foods one at a time, especially since you had this issue. The reason to do this at the current stage is because that way you can determine what is giving you issues. Post-op many people develop lactose intolerance, for instance. I developed an intolerance to chicken of all things, and my first meats ended up being beef and lamb (pureed) which is atypical. My point is, no one can predict how your stomach will react with 100% certainty.

"Soft foods" for my surgeon meant non-purees - yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta, etc. Anything that did not need to be pureed to be soft/mushy. I skipped beans and potatoes and kept to high protein foods and easily hit 60-80g/day that way. 30g of that was a protein shake, but the rest was soft high-protein foods.

Hang in there, absolutely contact the doctor, and see what they say.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Janet P.
on 12/21/17 5:42 am

Obviously you tried something they suggested and it didn't agree with you. That will happen. This stage of any WLS is all about experimenting. You went from liquids to full on turkey salad - albeit pureed. You will eventually be able to eat this, but obviously too much too soon even though it was only a few bites.

I agree with others who are suggesting softer foods - not soft solid. Scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt. We've all been there. The hardest thing to learn post-op is patience. We all lack it but all learn how to embrace it eventually. It's a learning process, just like eating.

Wait a week or two and try it again.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/21/17 7:38 pm
Turkey and chicken are hard to eat post sleeve. You really need to try new foods in very limited amounts to determine if they are going to work for you.

I stayed on soft foods a lot longer than I required, because my body wouldn't let me progress as fast as my doctor. It was fine in the end. Listen to your body or be prepared to throw up.

Scott