One Year Appointment...didn't go as I expected

theAntiChick
on 12/14/17 9:45 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

ALSO, remember this... unless your NUT is a Registered Dietician, there's absolutely zero quality standards to calling yourself a nutritionist. Anyone can do it, without any special training. I have heard some of the craziest fad diet nonsense, or wanting to test my blood (for $500) to see what foods I should eat. Most of the NUTs I've dealt with were a waste of air... my single semester of nutrition in nursing school gave me better information than I've EVER gotten from a NUT.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/17 4:26 am
VSG on 10/11/16

"Most of the NUTs I've dealt with were a waste of air... "

Or as I like to say, "Their main skill is the ability to turn food into poop."

Renren
on 12/14/17 9:52 am
VSG on 12/02/15

As long as you are not doing anything unhealthy, there is nothing wrong with focusing on a goal.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Jester
on 12/14/17 2:49 pm
RNY on 03/21/16 with

The goal weight you are shooting for is not unhealthy. I'm a 5'8" man that has been maintaining at about 150lbs for the last year. My surgeon didn't want me to lose anymore weight, but he always says "your blood work looks great, and as long as you're feeling good, then great".

Obviously, I agree with what everyone said about obsessing, and I also agree that therapy is a positive thing for anyone.

But even obsession can be a bit subjective. Do I "obsess" about food - probably depends who you ask. It is EXTREMELY high up on my priority list to eat as healthy as possible. So yes, I often go to great length to make sure I always have access to healthy food. I have no doubt some would say that is "obsessive", but I was morbidly obese for decades because I was not focused on healthy food and didn't prioritize it in my life. I am not able to take a "hey, I'll just do my best" approach to eating healthy. That is a strategy for failure for me.

Now, it's far from the only thing i think about, and I really enjoy a lot of things over and above food. But it is definitely a primary focus of mine.

chula82
on 12/15/17 5:40 am
RNY on 12/21/16

I agree 100%. I feel like I HAVE to make food a priority, doing the opposite will just put me back at 250 lbs....and then what was the point of all of this?

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/17 10:11 pm
karenp8
on 12/15/17 1:57 am - Brighton, IL

Your goal of 155 is not unattainable. I am 5'6.5" and weigh 118 to 120 and have for 41/2 years. I weigh and measure what I eat and walk for 60 to 80 minutes everyday for exercise. I had exactly the same reaction from my surgeon's PA. In fact she made me see the surgeon and the psychologist because she was worried I had an eating disorder. And all because I follow rules and achieved a normal bmi. Both said I was fine and the surgeon agreed that with my long term rheumatoid arthritis I was smart to keep my weight as low as I could since NSAIDS are a no no now. Most surgeon's consider you a success at 65 percent excess weight lost. I don't know about you but I didn't go to all this trouble to have surgery and rearrange myself to be a slightly less large large person. What you are doing sounds perfect. Keep it up! When you see her next--listen,smile,agree and keep doing what works.

chula82
on 12/15/17 5:43 am
RNY on 12/21/16

Thank you Kreno8, you couldn't have said it any better "I didn't go to all this trouble to have surgery and rearrange myself to be a slightly less large large person"

White Dove
on 12/15/17 6:52 am - Warren, OH

Your NUT does not understand how weight loss surgery works. She really needs to be talked with and educated.

With weight loss surgery it is typical to lose 100 pounds during the first 18 months. Then it is typical to maintain that weight for about a year. Then it is typical to have a 20 pound rebound when malabsorption wears off.

My surgeon advises us to go 10, 20, or even 30 pounds under his goal of 24 BMI.

Even if your NUT is not educated, you need to be educated. Getting to a goal of normal BMI is not really enough. You need to lose enough to have the cushion for regain that occurs with almost everyone.

You don't need help, she does. Having her give such foolish advise is detrimental to your clinic's program. I would report her to the management at your clinic.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MarinaGirl
on 12/15/17 7:34 am

There seems to be a bias against obese people no longer being obese or overweight. It's as if we're not supposed to ever be thin/slim/skinny/normal BMI.

I hear/read it from doctors & other clinicians when a patient says they want to get to a weight that is in the normal BMI range, AND patients may also do this when they say/type they'd be a skeleton if they get to a weight that is in the normal BMI range, or in the negative remarks from friends and family that aren't used to them or others in their orbit being thin. This is not OK.

I'm at the low end of normal for my BMI and I'm not using mean words to describe myself; I'm very slim but very healthy right now (not a skeleton), and I hope I can stay at this weight for a while to minimize regain. My PCP, endocrinologist, gastroenterologist, and rheumatologist are all pleased with my current weight and lab work.

If a NUT, physician, or nurse says otherwise, one should seek out an alternative medical service provider. You do not have to continue to see one that makes you feel bad about your healthy progress.