My story and vent

rec2200
on 12/11/17 10:13 am

Hello!

I finally admitted to myself that I need surgery to help me lose weight. What woke me up was when my vision got really blurry due to high blood sugars. I was scared that my sight would not come back. Past six months or so, it feels like my body is aging faster due to excess weight.

So I got a referral to start the process. I called to attend the informational meeting and sign up for the required nutritional classes. When I found out there was out of pocket cost to attend the classes, I asked if there was a sliding scale for low income individuals. Got a snarky reply asking if I can afford the costs after surgery. Ugh....really rude and depressing

peachpie
on 12/11/17 10:39 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm sorry the person came across that way, but it is a very real consideration. A compliant patient must commit to a lifetime of vitamins. They can get costly. Don't let it discourage you-- just another area to research.

Im disappointed that they charge a fee for the nutrition class though- I'm used to that being included for the most part.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

SkinnyScientist
on 12/11/17 12:07 pm

If your doc/np/surgeon writes a letter of medical necessity, my FSA permits vitamins!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/11/17 12:25 pm

you have to have money to put in FSA, plan a plan that allows it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pr31
on 12/11/17 10:51 am

I'm sorry you received a snarky reply, but like Peach said, they want to make sure you are compliant after surgery. It probably could have/should have been said in a different way/tone. Don't let the attitude of someone who may have had a bad day deter you. My insurance covered everything EXCEPT the 6 nutrition consults. I would have to look it up, but I think it was $25 per session. Best wishes!

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/17 11:50 am

Emotions run high when WLS approaches.

Take a deep breath and just keep coming here for support.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/11/17 12:23 pm

I am sorry you felt you got snarky comment. But as others mentioned- life post op WLS can be expensive. Vitamins, minerals, proteins, Time off work, plus any complications and can happen because of

Add needs for regular checks ups - blood work testing, etc. It can be costly.

app 3 years post op I needed iron infusions, CT scan, etc etc. Things adds up. Some things that can cost lot of out of pocket $$.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NHPOD9
on 12/13/17 9:12 am

Blood work and iron infusions are super expensive! My last round of iron infusions cost $5000; blood work was $2000. And since I have to get both multiple times a year, I don't know how I would afford those costs without good insurance.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

rec2200
on 12/11/17 3:10 pm

Thanks for your support. Yeah, I think admitting that I need help with weight loss has made me more sensitive to comments like that. For the past month my health has taken a nosedive, I was just put on insulin, and I'm just unsure of everything. So I tend to take it personally. If it comes down to it, my health is more important and I will just have to find the resources to pay for classes and whatever else is needed.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/11/17 3:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Are the classes required by your insurance company, or by the surgeon? There's a big difference.

Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card to get the requirements, in writing if possible. If it's only the surgeon *****quires the classes, you could look for a different doctor who's in your insurance network.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active