WLS in Mexico: Where do I start?!

Queensley
on 12/4/17 2:39 pm - Canada

Eeeeek, scary. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy S.
on 12/4/17 8:52 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Queensley,

I have been getting more and more calls from people in Canada due to the long wait. Some have told me there can be up to 5 year wait. Since you will be a self pay then you don't need a referral from your doctors but you may want to talk to your Primary care doctor and see what options you may for follow up care once you return to Canada. Personally I did not have surgery in MX but have seen others say they arrange with their doctors for follow up care.

Your next step is to research your surgeon options and get pricing. Making sure the pricing includes all you need. Pricing and what it includes is different between surgeons. We will send you some links to some surgeon's for your review. Be sure and read the reviews here on OH.

We are here to help in any way we can.

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Queensley
on 12/4/17 2:40 pm - Canada

Thank you!! :)

Kathy S.
on 12/4/17 9:09 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Eggface
on 12/4/17 9:42 am, edited 12/4/17 1:49 am - Sunny Southern, CA

There is a Mexico Forum here on OH you might scroll through and once you narrow yourself to a few Dr's message past patients through OH messaging and ask about their experiences.

You will need to plan for lab work in the future (at least annually)

A dietitian and therapist are great tools post-op.

You might ask the bariatric surgery program in your area if they allow people in their support group who had surgery elsewhere which would give you a great source of info and support network before & after.

Best wishes with your research.

Oh P.S. I've had 3 surgeries in Mexico and been happy with the experiences, though there are good & bad programs/doctors in all countries so research (obviously don't just go for the best $ deal.)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Queensley
on 12/4/17 2:44 pm - Canada

Thanks so much for the info!

Ginnny
on 12/4/17 9:46 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Can I ask which province you're in? And why you would prefer to travel to Mexico for the surgery? I'm just curious. If its because of the "process" you can use that time to start making positive changes to your diet and lifestyle.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Queensley
on 12/4/17 2:43 pm - Canada

I'm in Alberta. Alberta Health covers the surgery, but the waitlist is currently 7-10 years, which is outrageous in my opinion. I have been on my "weight-loss journey" for over a decade now... I have literally tried everything. I'm ready start living my life and loving myself again without this constantly holding me back!

Metamorph1959
on 12/5/17 10:46 pm

Man, I thought it was bad in BC... I'm looking at two or three years before I get a consult, and then I'm not sure just how long to the surgery... But nothing like what you describe in AB!

RosieBelly
on 12/4/17 10:29 am

Hey Queensley - you do not mention which province but perhaps you should talk to your family doctor first and get a recommendation to the weight loss management program through your provincial health care. If you feel you have a valid reason to have surgery then your family doc should get on board and if not perhaps search out another or call the weight management centre yourself. The surgery is covered 100% here in Ontario if you qualify under OHIP. It seems long looking from where you are standing but trust me it passes in a flash and you will have qualified aftercare at your fingertips.

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

Most Active