Vegans Help - Post VSG

anabanana1976
on 11/29/17 8:49 pm
VSG on 11/21/17

Hi there - I am post op day 9 VSG. Woot Woot..

I was transitioning into veganism right before I started this process in September. My prep diet was not vegan and nor is my post op diet, but once I am out of the initial post op phase of 6 or so weeks I would like to get back to a more vegan like menu..

Currently I am on the full fluid phase - I use a Vegan Protein Powder that I sprinkle on my 'vegetable - home made' soup and unfortunately, I am eating yogurt and I sprinkle it on that too. I am also drinking IsoPure Protein Drink - which is not Vegan

Anyone else out there who is vegan and getting all their targets in? How? When?

Any tips for the pureed stage?

Thanks

Ana

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/30/17 7:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It is exceptionally difficult to hit targets (60 - 80g protein, under 25g carbs) while keeping a vegan diet.

May I ask if you're doing it for ethical or health reasons primarily?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

anabanana1976
on 11/30/17 8:33 am
VSG on 11/21/17

Hi there,

Ethical reasons. I found a great vegan protein that per scoop has 30grams, and once I am on regular foods I can incorporate seeds which carry a lot of protein..as well as a variety legumesbut it's killing me.. every yogurt I eat makes me sad. Food USED to make me happy, now I am miserable.. But I also won't risk a healthy pouch at this time..

Ana

on 11/30/17 8:42 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Are you OK with meat substitutes? Looking at the stats for some of them (I eat Morningstar sausage crumbles once in a while, for example) they may give you a better nutritional "bang for your buck" than legumes and the like.

Depending on your outlook, would you consider eating dairy if you knew it was humanely-sourced? Greek yogurt is a really good post-op food, and maybe you could find a small local dairy where you're confident that the animals are well cared-for.

I would suggest reaching out to a counselor or therapist who can help you work through your emotional relationship with food. There are a lot of people here on OH who get a tremendous benefit from it, since we really do need to do a lot of head work-- even without the veg*nism aspect.

anabanana1976
on 11/30/17 9:07 am
VSG on 11/21/17

Oh I am fine on the emotional aspect of it. I didn't mean I sit and cry with every spoonful, but the thought is always there that an animal was more than not, mistreated, to get this to me.

I want to be dairyless eventually. I can't drink milk anymore. Not sure why I ever did. And I only do greek yogurts because my resources are limited.
I will look into those meat alternatives. I can not do Tofu, so that eliminates that...

Thanks for your feedback!

A

on 11/30/17 9:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Just curious, did you receive much information on what your post-op nutritional requirements would be before having surgery? There can be a huge variety in the quality of patient-education programs and I'm always interested to see what they have to say to people who plan on going meat-free after WLS.

anabanana1976
on 11/30/17 10:39 am
VSG on 11/21/17

Hi Julie

Oh yes. I have an appointed dietician although, my pre-op dietician was fantastic.. he incorporated my vegan requests in all my pre-op planning.. and we talked about post op requirements as well, especially the need for protein.. so I was always aware I may have to do dairy for my first 6 weeks or so.
On my last consultation before surgery, I was appointed another dietitian. I am not fond of her and she basically blew off (or so I felt) the vegan agenda. At one point when I asked about vegan protein powder she said 'well, i haven't researched it so these two I have and I recommend them".. both being Whey Protein.
That same afternoon, it didn't take me more than 30 minutes to locate a Protein enriched Vegan tasteless Protein that meets all the requirements.
Also, she gave me false instructions on how to take my Calcium. She told me to take 1200mg at once, which is wrong as your body can only absorb 500mg (I verified this with the Clinics RN). Also, this dieteican has not heard of vit4life or any other bariatric vitamin.. because I am having a hard time chewing 6+tabs a day that are all so artificially flavored , on top of my Palafer (Iron) that I have to drink..
Needless to say, I see her again in early January and whether or not she likes, I will have a LOT of questions I expect answers to.
I know a lot of people think Vegans just eat granola bars, but it is not the case. Our meals are bountiful and if you are in the position of being a dietitian, some knowledge base for all types of diets should be met. In my opinion anyways!

Thanks

A

Valerie G.
on 11/30/17 5:53 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your body does not require designer bariatric vitamins. I took 12 Vita4Life pills daily for three months and watched my nutritional levels plummet. I do better piecing together what I need, and it's much cheaper. If the dietician refuses to help you develop a vegan diet, then fire her. It's that simple. She is not meeting your needs and make sure to tell her so. I'm sure that there are some vegan wls groups that can help you out for free, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Laura in Texas
on 12/1/17 9:04 am

Why can't you do tofu?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

anabanana1976
on 12/1/17 4:08 pm
VSG on 11/21/17

The texture kills me.. same with tempeh - Ive tried it fried, broiled, baked, small, chunky ..firm, soft... but I am open to more suggestions..

Most Active