Driving: Vehicles With The Largest Driver Side Space

Lina_Ann
on 11/24/17 1:52 pm, edited 11/24/17 5:52 am

I?m almost 300 pounds and I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra (the Sonata is even bigger) with tons of space. I have short arms and a bigger tummy and I still have about half a foot of space between my belly and the wheel. The seats also big enough to make me comfortable. I depends how you carry your weight and your height I guess.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

I.Can.I.Will
on 11/24/17 8:32 pm

Yeah that is the thing, I have really good posture for such a big person. When I was younger my dad always would say not to slouch cause I'll get round shoulders so at some point I taught myself to sit up straight at the edge of the bed for time on end just holding myself there making sure my posture was good. My posture is probably why I am not a ruined waste just laying in bed all the time. Back when I was 500lbs no one would guess I was that big because I hid it well. I got all the way down to 250lbs after 14 months. Then I was forced to move to a different state and life fell apart and I ballooned up again.

NYMom222
on 11/24/17 7:44 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Being just shy of 6ft, and at one point over 400 lbs I get it. I drive a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought because I needed something large to fit me at the time, and I was fine in it.

My Dad wasn't obese but just had really long legs, And I remember him having the dealership unbolt the tracks the seat was on and move them back a few inches.

Besides the car, you should stick around and checkout the site.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

I.Can.I.Will
on 11/24/17 8:27 pm

I intend too. I picked up a good commercial treadmill a few months ago. Got mats, weights, and a heavy bag all in the garage. I'm going to try and find someone local to the East Atlanta area to come help motivate me and keep me on a routine. I know how to do this but for some reason it's really hard for me right now. I lost both my parents last year and it's just had me down no matter how positive my intentions to actually get back at it. I will most definitely be reading up and sharing here.

I have my parents 2014 Chrysler 300 and it's a joke for me to even think about getting into it. It was crazy just trying to get into the passenger seat. For some reason I just was too tall even thou when I was lighter it never seemed that way with other vehicles.

In reality if/when I am back at it 100% committed and backed with positive reinforcement I am sure I can lose a good 100/200lbs in 3/4 months and be able to sit comfortably behind a wheel.

lbalaw2
on 11/25/17 11:47 am
VSG on 09/19/17

I purchased a 2016 Honda Pilot for the issue you stated above. Has a low console in the middle so it gives a lot more hip space. Seat adjusts up in height as well as back to front, will also tilt up for more leg support.. You will need a seat belt extension. Easy to find on amazon for whatever make you should chose. I could not fit comfortably in any Ford or Toyota vehicles due to the high console in the middle. Did not try any Chevy or other brands. Good luck in your search and in your journey.

HWE 330 SW 272 VSG 9/19/2017 CW 245

Donna L.
on 11/26/17 4:52 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I drove a Chevy Aveo at 600lbs-ish, though in retrospect I shudder remembering it as it was far from comfortable. The dealer modified the chair for me to work at the time, and it worked well until I drove it into the ground earlier than it should have been.

I almost bought a Rav4 which was...way roomier and easier to get into than I thought.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

I.Can.I.Will
on 12/6/17 11:25 pm

I'm eyeing this 2005 Ford F150 SuperCrew Cab.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/744747905722996?su rface=product_details

It has a fold down console so it's really like a bench. Seats look low profile. I was also thinking... well, remembering back when I was a kid and a friend in high school had a camero with a custom racing steering wheel that he could detach and put in his locker. I did a google search for steering wheels and found there are a bunch which are much smaller than standard and some even have a flat bottom (not a full circle). I wonder if that might be a good option for me? Sure I would lose out on the air bag and cruise control and perhaps other fancy doo dads like volume control for the radio :P (woopty doo) but if this gives me all kinds of comfortable room then it may be the way to go. Could I possibly have freedom to live again!!!

Steering Wheels
https://www.carid.com/custom-steering-wheels.html?filter=1&field%5B365845%5D%5B%5D=8.50%22+%2F+215.90mm&field%5B365845%5D%5B%5D=10%22+%2F+254mm

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/7/17 7:21 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I would be VERY nervous to drive without an airbag.

In frontal crashes, frontal airbags reduce driver fatalities by 29 percent. (Source)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 12/7/17 7:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

No kidding. :/

Especially combined with the fact that most of the SMO obese people I've known in my life don't wear seatbelts due to seatbelts not being long enough or being uncomfortable.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active