Study showing alcohol effects post-WLS

Donna L.
on 11/26/17 4:31 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Ugh, I totally didn't see this when I posted the other day on the VSG forum! Sorry about that -_-

It's because the stomach metabolizes alcohol first. Anyone with a gastrectomy or stomach surgery to reduce the size, WLS or not, will get hit by it harder as a result of it not being broken down first. That's a part of why they feel transfer addictions are so common, particularly. Many people will not change their drinking habits and wind up getting hit harder.

The same pathways in the body that metabolize ethanol also are what break down fat for weight loss. Alcohol will always get metabolized first due to toxicity.

It also puts us at a higher risk for h. pylori infection and pathogens, too, which we are already at higher risk for due to having smaller stomachs.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/17 8:28 pm

I am glad you posted. A lot of RNY people read all the forums. Well at least I do.

Thanks for posting about the tampon also. I never knew the answer why anyone would do this.

CherriesInTheSnow
on 12/6/17 7:57 am

Not only are you a much cheaper date, you're an UNPREDICTABLY "cheaper date".

Sometimes, I can have two Martinis and not even feel a blip. Other times, half a glass of wine and I have to be carted to bed on a Hannibal Lecter wheelie truck - lol And sometimes - vice versa. You just cannot predict.

That's why I don't drink when I'm away from my home...and I only drink limited amounts (mostly wine).

CitS

Most Active