Would appreciate your opinions, please! Protein!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/1/17 10:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Cheese is a pretty good food choice, all things considered, but not nearly as good as meat. Ideally, you should be looking for foods with at least 10g protein per 100 calories. One piece of string cheese has 6g protein per 80 calories, so it falls a bit short in that department.

If you're really struggling, you may consider trying protein bars, there are several (Quest and Think Thin) that meet the appropriate protein-per-calories ratio. Early out, I could only eat half of one, but that was still a good protein boost. Some people find them triggering because they're similar to candy bars or cookies, but I used them on occasion in place of other snacks.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Agran
on 11/1/17 11:02 am

Thanks so much. I will look at exchanging more meat for cheese and trying to get in the 10g or more.

I find I get full so fast - I know, slap me, this is what we have always wanted.

Teally aporeciate your time and wisdom.

on 11/1/17 11:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I struggled with the very same thing at first, so I totally understand where you're coming from! Figuring out the logistics of eating can be really challenging, and I think it's great that you've come here for help :)

One other thing I remembered from my early days-- try Greek yogurt if you like it and your stomach can handle it! A 100 calorie tub of Chobani nonfat has 17g protein, so that's a great food if you have a hard time getting enough meat down.

Agran
on 11/1/17 11:46 am

I do like yogurt so I will try that as well. Do you put something in your yogurt? Thanks. :)

on 11/1/17 12:00 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I like to use a teeny bit of SF jam, especially blueberry or raspberry, in my Greek yogurt. PB2 (powdered peanut butter) is also really tasty!

Agran
on 11/1/17 2:08 pm

Thanks so much. So kind of you to share your ideas. I will give them a try. Thanks again

MarinaGirl
on 11/2/17 11:37 am, edited 11/2/17 4:37 am

I love FAGE plain Greek yogurt, which has 20g of protein. I also add some frozen blueberries and almonds to it for yummy/healthy flavor & texture.

FYI - I try to not consume artificial sweeteners as they can negatively impact weight loss.

hollykim
on 11/1/17 11:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 1, 2017 at 5:29 PM Pacific Time, Agran wrote:

Thank you for your message.

My daily meals usually look like this:

B: 1 low fat string cheese or one boiled egg

L: 1.5 ounces chicken, or tuna or whatever meat I had left over from he night before

D: 1.5 ounces meat, or combination of meat and cheese to 2 ounces

S: I don't usually snack but if I do it will normally be a string cheese.

I have been adding this this week protein powder in my coffee but that is just this week.

Thouhts and ir input is so welcome. Thank you

most of us find we have to eat 6 dense protein rich meals a day to get the protein in. I would suggest you eat meat at every meal and try to eat 6 times a day.

Agran
on 11/1/17 11:45 am

Good idea. I will see if I can add more meat instead of other things. That does make the math work better. Thanks so much.

hollykim
on 11/1/17 12:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 1, 2017 at 6:45 PM Pacific Time, Agran wrote:

Good idea. I will see if I can add more meat instead of other things. That does make the math work better. Thanks so much.

also,are you very slowly trying to increase the amount of meat you can eat? Trying to go from 1.5 oz to 2 oz?

Meat is not going to make you gain weight increasing it.

I am not saying stuff yourself,just try a very gradual incr3ase

Most Active