When do I get to buy new clothes?

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/17 10:05 am

Sounds like a good plan going to thrift shops. I got caught up in my weight loss and ended up buying too much and ended up giving it away.

peachpie
on 10/29/17 12:46 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I didn't need anything new for a good three-four months. My clothes were tight and I had clothes that I couldn't fit that I was able to finally fit again. From size 26 to 22 i didn't need to buy anything. once I got to 20, I was cycling through to a new size every six weeks. I bought minimal stuff via the thrift store. If I couldn't find it there, I limited new purchases to costing $20 or less.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/29/17 1:46 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

IMHO - Do not buy new clothes - shop your closest, ask at your support group meeting for who is getting rid of the size that you are going to be. If you go to Salv Army - get on their mailing list and only go when there is a 50% off day. If you have a special event coming up - see if you can borrow a nice outfit.

In other words - do not buy new clothes, until you absolutely have too. Instead, start a fund for what you want to do when you lose the weight - zip lining, a caribbean vacation, plastic surgery, new clothes, or just a simpler lifestyle.

Enjoy your WL journey!

Sharon

catwoman7
on 10/29/17 1:59 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I bought underwear and swimsuits new, otherwise, everything came from Goodwill and other thrift stores. I have a half a closet full of stuff that's now too big - that I only got to wear for a month or so. Luckily, it all came from Goodwill. Otherwise, it would have been a ton of money down the drain.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Hunter202442
on 10/29/17 11:36 pm

You can consider cheap clothes when you're transitional, cuz they are not going to be your friends for very long and I often try to find some great deals and sales on promopure.com.

Au_Contraire
on 10/30/17 1:28 am

I've lost 85 pounds at 4.5 months post-op, and am still wearing the same clothes I wore beforehand! It kind of blows my mind that they still fit at all! My skirts are definitely looser (and significantly longer!), but the tops still look good, better in fact.

I have truly hated having to buy clothes over the past 8 years, ever since I became so fat. I hated the way I looked, the utter paucity of decent styles, the embarrassment of trying awful looking, ill-fitting things on, etc. Since I didn't look good in anything, I barely bought anything - literally for years now. I have, however, been eyeing second-hand things on Thredup.com and on Swap.com, and will pick up a couple of those garments soon. The odd thing is that when I am slim, I am a total clothes horse. Now, not so much!

In perhaps 6-7, or maybe 9 more months, I will probably be starting to be able to wear the top size range in my voluminous closet. That, I really look forward to, because I have some seriously fabulous clothes in there, going down to a pretty small size. I just have to get from here to there!

Writergurl08
on 10/30/17 4:06 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I'm also pre-op and have started browsing thrift stores for almost-new things in a couple sizes down, that way I have them and I'm not rushing to shop later because suddenly my pants won't stay up! As crazy as it sounds, that's what we've been struggling with since my husband had his surgery in May. It was pants mostly, since he works in a very casual environment and you can get away with big T-shirt's, but there were weeks that the jeans he wore Friday didn't fit on Monday. My advice would be to start browsing whenever you want, grab the next few sizes down if you find good items. It makes me giddy thinking about being able to fit into those items.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Andiemarie30
on 10/30/17 7:41 am
VSG on 03/21/17

Everyone's different but it took 50# until I could really fit into smaller clothes. After that first 50# it seemed like I changed sizes every 10# or so. Goodwill/Salvation Army is my best friend right now.

Kathy1212
on 10/30/17 8:23 am

I shop for inexpensive or sales items only, and do a lot of Walmart shopping as it's cheaper than our local Value Village (thrift shop).

I buy 1 pair of dress pants, and 2-3 pairs of leggings (capris in summer) per size, and make sure they fit a bit tightly when I first buy them as it doesn't take long before they are too big. It's cool to buy the same brand, one size smaller every time. I've gone from size 24W to size 12 in one brand of pants so far, and I really am looking forward to the next size down, lol. I bought jeans and a dress for the first time when I hit size 12.

For tops, I buy a variety of inexpensive ones, mostly casual but also some dressier ones. I wear the tops until they are two sizes too big, and then use them as pajama tops. Same with the leggings. If they're more than 3 sizes too big I give them away. I was giving them away sooner but then thought, why not use them as jammies, lol?

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Writergurl08
on 10/30/17 9:41 am
RNY on 02/15/18

Lol I've inherited a lot of my husband's too-big T-shirts since he's 6 mos post-op, and they hang to my knees, so they make great nightgowns! But eventually they'll get donated, since I'll have my own big T-shirts soon enough :P

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Most Active