Nausea/vomiting after VSG & discharge to home

pattyLynnTrish
on 10/26/17 6:04 am

I am not familiar with your Laproscopic VSG as I had open Roux-en-y Bypass but I was told no. I had to let it flatten 1st and that's what your wanting the bubbles.

Call your clinic, you should have information and Google too. I know my clinic was/is pretty strict as they have more don'ts than do on their lists.

I can not throw up with my surgury, and dry heaves are horrible. I have wished I could at times to feel better, the stomach flu really for me is awful, I didn't realize that till after the surgury.

Wishing you all the best and don't be afraid to call or go in, risks always that possibility and dehydration is no good.

I now need to Google your surgury as I'm not familiar with it, so many more options are available now, back in 2003 when I had mine done the band wasn't even available.

Partner in mission and goals for better health, Patty

Erin T.
on 10/26/17 6:09 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Try an electrolyte beverage instead. G2 is low sugar, I believe. You can also ge****er add in's like Mio that have electrolytes. Sip constantly and take Zofran. My terrible nausea was gone around 48 hours.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Donna L.
on 10/26/17 8:51 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This is completely unacceptable post-operative care. Standard care is to not discharge until liquids are tolerated, as being dehydrated can be fatal.

Call the surgeon's emergency number ASAP. If they have an unsatisfactory response, go to a different ER if you continue to be unable to keep fluid down and call other bariatric surgeons in the area for a second opinion.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

MarinaGirl
on 10/26/17 9:16 am, edited 10/26/17 2:17 am

I am so sorry you are going through this.

You would be better off drinking regular Gatorade instead of their artificially sweetened product, G2, right now. The reason is because G2 won?t give you adequate hydration therapy, which is what you need right now, as it doesn?t contain sugar. This is not the time to worry about calories. My surgeon recommended I consume regular Gatorade post-WLS when I struggled with dehydration.

And it is ok to drink the regular ginger ale but let it go flat if you can. Or just take tiny sips until the bubbles die down.

NYMom222
on 10/28/17 8:53 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You haven't responded in awhile, wondering how you are doing?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active