Nausea/vomiting after VSG & discharge to home

annev308
on 10/26/17 4:20 am

I had Laparoscopic VSG on 10/23 - lots of post-surgical nausea and vomiting, problems with IV - so I was already pretty dehydrated when I discharged yesterday 10/25.

I haven't been able to keep fluids down since I got home, and have been throwing up/dry heaving for the last 6 hours.

Is it okay/safe for me sip ginger ale?

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/17 4:52 am

Some stores keep diet ginger ale.

When I dealt with nausea - warm herbal ginger tea was much better than artificially flavored ginger ale. You can use ginger tea bags or real ginger (grate it, steep in ho****er, strain, add some sweeteners if you need)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

annev308
on 10/26/17 5:20 am

I have some reeds ginger ale - not diet, has real ginger.

I am sure plain ginger would be much better, but I haven't got any on hand and I don't have transportation to either the grocery store or the ER for another 24 hours.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/17 6:10 am

Reeds is good. I would dilute that and make sure it is flat before I would drink it.

If you have dried powdered ginger (spices) you can use that also. But strain It (coffee filter, paper towel) before you drink it. Or you can add the powder to a tsp of apple sauce, or even yogurt. I world start with a little bit, and see if your body tolerates it.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gwen M.
on 10/26/17 5:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you taking a PPI?

You need to hydrate - flat diet gingerale is likely better than nothing. Try different temperatures and liquids. Hot tea, warm chicken broth, room temperature crystal light.

Call your surgeon. Are you taking zofran for the nausea?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

annev308
on 10/26/17 5:24 am

No PPI - I have a spinal cord injury and a history of cdiff, so they didn't give me one.

Also nothing for nausea on discharge, although I was throwing up while on zofran and phenergan in hospital.

Surgeon said go to ER for dehydration but no taxi service available until 9am. (am not-yet-driving paraplegic, live alone in rural area)

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/17 6:12 am

That is a not very good doc IMO. It is negligence IMO.

Gwen M.
on 10/26/17 6:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I am deeply concerned that you are in this situation. To be discharged under these cir****tances, to your own devices, seems very negligent on your hospitals' part.

And foolish on their part, since readmission reflects badly on a facility.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 10/26/17 5:44 am, edited 10/25/17 10:45 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

So, the surgeon discharged you while you were still dehydrated and still vomiting, with no help at home and no method of transport? That doesn't speak well of his practices or concern for his patients, now, does it? Please disclose his name so others are warned about this. You should be well-hydrated in the hospital with the IV they give you. So, he left it all up to you, now. Work all you can to get that 64oz in or it's just another reason to give you nausea and increased fatigue. You may very well wind up in the ER for another IV, but you'll need to fight tooth and nail to get those fluids in yourself.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

pattyLynnTrish
on 10/26/17 6:15 am

I know, I was really blown away too. Letting her go that soon and dehydrated! I also agree, post something on the Dr. on the reviews on line. I lost respect for that Dr. as well, and puzzled that the hospital released her, not overriding his his/her decision based on that alone. Sodium and potassium loss has happened to me, too many times. Patty

Most Active