Question

Fleurdenoire
on 10/25/17 12:24 pm

hello! Well, i am fairly new to this, I'm trying to educate myself and I have a question. I was told that one of the requirements was "supervised exercise" what exactly is that, if anyone is familiar with this. Id appreciate it.

Ginnny
on 10/25/17 12:50 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Have you checked the requirements with your insurance provider? Not all carriers have the same requirements. Best to find out exactly what you need to do so you don't run into a roadblock later in the process.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Fleurdenoire
on 10/25/17 3:16 pm

I asked my insurance and they told me that I needed the 6 month diet supervised by a dietition or nutritionist and supervised exercise. Then the referral by my primary doctor to the surgeon. I'm just worried about the whole "supervised exercise" thing, and wondering if anyone else has heard of that or had to do it.

Valerie G.
on 10/26/17 5:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would ask for clarification, but my guess would be records that you worked with a personal trainer, perhaps?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Fleurdenoire
on 10/26/17 10:20 am

I'm thinking it is. I'm calling in today for clarification

Lina_Ann
on 10/25/17 2:55 pm

Sounds like a question for your insurance.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/25/17 3:37 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I never heard of supervised exercise as an ins requirement. I heard of supervised diet. Usually it was Dr supervised monthly weight loss checks that's documented & sent to the ins to see if you're losing, gaining, etc. Maybe the exercise is the same thing? You should check with your insurance for clarification.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/25/17 3:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I agree with the other responses-- you need to check with your insurance company. My best guess is that you'd need somebody like a personal trainer or group-fitness class instructor to sign off on something, but that's only a guess. Reach out to your insurance company and get an explanation in writing so you'll have exactly what they need.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

califsleevin
on 10/25/17 4:45 pm - CA

My insurance had words to the effect of "medically supervised exercise and reduced calorie diet program" which for me was to check in with my PCP periodically (implicitly but not specifically monthly) where I turned in my diet logs (most use My Fitness Pal or equivalent) and exercise log, which came out of our YMCA which had a computer that tracked your different machine use and you could enter anything else you did - fitness classes, swimming, walking, etc. It could just as easily been a handwritten log, but the computer printout looked more official. I suspect that basic log submitted to whomever is supervising you would do the trick. But, yes, as others indicated, check with your insurance company as to what they expect, or alternately, the insurance coordinator in your surgeon's office can interpret the insurance company's policy bulletin for you - that's part of their job.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Fleurdenoire
on 10/25/17 5:33 pm

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely call again tomorrow so they can clarify. I finally submitted the patient questionnaire i received at the seminar, which we were tolda was to get the "ball rolling".

Most Active