Ambivalent about losing more weight

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/17 9:18 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

Just a personal rant: For the first time since surgery, today I looked at myself in the mirror and did not like what I saw. I am 33 but much of my body looks 30 years older. My stomach is wrinkly and saggy, my breasts are deflated and limp, and I have two extra mini butt cheeks made up of loose skin. My face looks older than before weight loss. I thought that because I started out a "lightweight" and am still relatively young that I would not have loose skin issues, but I've lost close to 100lbs and carried a full term pregnancy and it's all written on my body. I have another 11lbs to get to goal, and was considering losing 5 extra for some wiggle room, but today I'm feeling ambivalent. How much worse can this loose skin get? Is every pound lost at this point just aging me? I keep telling myself that when I'm done losing weight I will start heavy lifting to regain some muscle, but maybe that lifting needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Lina_Ann
on 10/20/17 11:46 pm

You may think you're aging on the outside, but you are doing the opposite INSIDE your body.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

chevtow41
on 10/21/17 4:06 am
DS on 11/11/14

Your body will adjust. Some spots will fill in, others may get worse. Lifting is always a good idea. So many studies have shown how good it is for you. I can tell you from personal experience you very likely will not fill in all the skin with muscle but every little bit helps.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/21/17 5:42 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Any possibility of PS? I NEVER thought I would consider it, but due to the positive body image effects others on OH experienced after PS, I went for a consultation just to get an idea. I ended up doing it because it was much less expensive than I thought it would be. It was essentially the same price as the driveway we put in. I decided I was worth a driveway.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/17 2:42 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

Maybe someday. Husband and I are still considering another baby or two.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/17 5:48 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Can I ask how much it cost to get your abdominoplasty? I've also just assumed it would be unreasonably expensive.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/22/17 5:57 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

It was about $8,500 for TT. I was in the hospital one night (it would have been a little cheaper if done same day surgery but I felt it was worth paying for one night).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/28/17 4:33 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Start putting some $$ away for PS - WL or not, you might really want a TT or "Mommy make-over." PS was the best investment I did.

Sharon

Laura in Texas
on 10/21/17 6:22 am

We all get to decide our own "goals". If you are happy where you are, then do not worry about losing more. Have you had your bodyfat measured? That is a good guide to use to help us decide if we should lose more. Increasing muscle mass is always good because it helps us burn more calories which is important as we try to maintain our loss (maintaining is so much harder than losing).

The loose skin bothered me tremendously which is why I had to have plastic surgery. It was pricey but I did what I had to do to get it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Valerie G.
on 10/21/17 7:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It can really be demotivating when you see the after-effects of losing that much weight, and you're a lightweight. Imagine what someone sees after losing 150 lbs or much more than that! I felt like I resembled a melting candle as I approached my final weight. I was also told I looked like a scarecrow. That hurt.

The good news is that over the second year, I noticed some readjustment, and I think it really was more than my brain just getting used to it. My face started looking more vibrant than sallow, and I think it was because I was no longer starving myself (which is how we basically lose the weight living on so little).

I found that a good shaper did wonders for my self-esteem when I wanted to wear clothes more fitting. I got a size bigger because I just wanted to smooth my silhouette and not suck so much in. My boobage is still saggy, but I'm 47 now and all women my age are starting to do that. I went from a 48DD to a 36C up to a 38D now. I can still fill a bra nicely, but it's kind of a mess when I'm free-ranging, so to speak. I've gained 25 of the 146lbs I lost and I think I look better for it. I have no interest in trying to lose it again, for I just don't want to fight it. I like this comfy place today.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active