Digestive Enzymes, anyone take them after Gastric bypass

sunshinespring
on 10/19/17 2:49 pm - Bay Area, CA

just wondering if any of you guys have taken digestive enzymes, I have been having stomach problems and they get worse by the day, digestion, constipation, and I feel full even with the smallest amount of food eaten, same with water or anything I eat.

a friend suggested enzymes but I am not sure if that is safe for gastric bypass patients, I am over 9 years out from surgery and the doctors have prescribed numerous medicines for the problems but none have helped,

Amy R.
on 10/19/17 6:37 pm

Are digestive enzymes the same thing as probiotics? Because I take those and so do a lot of folks here on OH.

Hala is actually the expert in this area - hands down. Hopefully she'll be along in a bit to answer you more knowledgeably.

sunshinespring
on 10/19/17 6:50 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you, they are different I think, I have no knowledge on this except google but it wont give me info about gastric bypass patients, hopefully we'll get some information.

NYMom222
on 10/20/17 5:37 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Enzymes are different than probiotics. I do keep papaya enzymes on hand from GNC. But only use them if I feel like meat is stuck or I'm not digesting it well.

I didn't know this originally but then read it on a medical bariatric website, can't remember which one but it will block your Malabsorption As it makes you digest things better. So while I do use them, when I feel the need, I wouldn't use them daily

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

califsleevin
on 10/19/17 9:14 pm - CA

The main use that I have seen of digestive enzymes in the bariatric world is for some DS patients who lose too much and need help in countering and adjusting to the malabsorption of the procedure. Probiotics, which help alter the microbiome of the gut are useful for many digestive problems, particularly after dietary changes or antibiotic therapy.

The fullness, implicitly restriction, is of some concern this far out (presumably this is a change of state?) - has this been evaluated by a bariatric surgeon, as one can speculate about all kinds of unpleasant causes but that isn't very helpful without some knowledgeable evaluation?

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

sunshinespring
on 10/19/17 9:26 pm - Bay Area, CA

thank you for your response, I actually have tried probiotics and they helped some, but the enzymes are new to me,

My pain and discomfort started exactly a year ago, is been a struggle to eat and don't have insurance to go see my surgeon, but I have a county doctor who is barely getting me referred to a GI doctor, I have gone to the ER multiple times with pains and aches and it all comes back "normal" but is been impossible to eat normal with all discomfort and always feeling bloated,

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/20/17 6:11 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Like NYMom, I have only used papaya enzymes occasionally -- really only to help if food happened to get "stuck" -- something that hasn't happened in at least two years.

I wouldn't think using them regularly would be good.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/20/17 6:12 am

What you describe sounds like my SIBO that can lead to IBS-C (IBS with constipation)

I have been dealing with that for while now, a few years. I have good months and bad months .

Unfortunately not many people - doctors , are aware of that and even if they are, the condition can be difficult to diagnose and treat. Very strict diet can help. Low FODMAP diet.

When I have really bad months- I have to limit my food to proteins, and some veggies, plus fats. Low FODMAP veggies, or fruits. Strict diet can be very challenging, but being in constant pain is much worse.

To deal with the constipation- I use miralax, (or store brand equivalent) and magnesium. I use as much as I need, most days 2 capfuls every morning. Plus up to 1200 mg of magnesium at night. I make sure I drink enough water, and I make sure I push a lot of liquids during the time I don't eat. I often try not to eat for app 14 hours during every 24 hours, and drink a lot of water. I.e - I would have my last meat at 7 pm, then the next meal is not before 9 am the next day. I may drink a lot of coffee, and flavored water before bed and as I get up. If I feel my constipation is w worse, I may wait until lunch to eat, and drink up to 64-90 oz of líquidos in the morning, between 6am and 11 or 12.

Things like grain, high fiber veggies, starches, etc - can cause a real problem for me.

Google SIBO and low FODMAP diet.

Digestives enzymes will help you digest the food, but unless you deal with the constipation, making sure things are moving really well, that may cause other issues. I try to eat easy to digest foods. Something that my body can process and not work too hard to get rid of the "left overs".

Unfortunately for me- adding more fiber to my diet has the opposite effects that for most people. More fiber= more constipation. There are fibers my body tolerates, and other, than not so much. Fiber from berries don't bother me much, but calliflower or broccoli - and I can in pain for hours. High fiber bread- wraps - that can cause pain for a couple of days.

Most veggies, even the ok ones, I often can eat well cooked, very soft. I don't use dairy, or soy.

Fyi: there is a test for SIBO, but it can be very expressive and not very reliable. Specially for something like us, with rerouted digestive intestines.

The condition can be treated with antibiotics, and they are expensive, and after the treatment- I need to take a lot of probiotics. Plus the treatment can only lasts a few months, and slowly things may return to the same as before the treatment. I have to repeat the treatment every few months. I hate the condition, but I also hate the way my body deals with antibiotics, so I use them only when I really really get tired of the pain after eating. After eating almost anything.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sunshinespring
on 10/20/17 4:31 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you so much for all the information and to be honest it sounds like you described me; I stopped eating a lot of foods including dairy, broccoli, Brussel sprouts and high fiber because they all cause me pain and just like you said it gets bad some days and is not so bad others, that's why my doctor cant figure out what to do.

I am printing this out and will do my follow the diet anything is better than this pain.

thanks again for the time and the input is greatly appreciated and also relief that I am not the only one struggling; my doctor keeps making me feel like I am crazy when the pain is very real.

Ladytazz
on 10/20/17 8:59 am

I also have recently started feeling nauseous after eating even a small meal. This is also a new thing so my doctor has me on a PPI (Prilosec) and I am scheduled for an EGD soon to rule out an ulcer.

Just mentioning that because it could possibly be an ulcer. I know you said you don't have insurance but see if there is anyway they can rule that out.

You might see if taking an over the counter PPI helps and if it does you might have to pursue that direction.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active