Appendectomy will delay/prevent gastric bypass?

jmr8986
on 10/19/17 8:18 am

I am so upset. I think I am having symptoms of appendicitis and am going to Dr about it this evening. I have completed all the necessary steps for my insurance to approve my surgery and am awaiting their answer. I'm worried if I have to get an appendectomy I am not going to be able to get my gastric bypass anytime soon and will have to go through everything again.

Does anyone know if that is true? If I get an appendectomy, the surgeon will not want to operate on me until a long time after?

Amy R.
on 10/19/17 8:51 am

Wow - that's no fun at all and I'm sorry you're dealing with possible appendectomy. I know you would be disappointed to have to wait for your surgery (I would be too) but appendicitis can turn deadly if your appendix ruptures in there.

We can all offer our opinions but honestly I think the surgeon(s) need to make that call.

Good luck and try to remember that it's better to get this taken care of now than it would be to have problems with it early post-op. Take Care.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/19/17 9:48 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Call your surgeon's office and ask them. You should be able chat with a nurse or PA over the phone, and they can probably give you a general guideline of "no, you'll need to wait X weeks," or "it won't be a problem."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 10/19/17 10:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Okay, so first you want to get diagnosed by the doc, but I would call your bariatric surgeon to ask them about it. Many surgeons remove the appendix and gallbladder as a precautionary measure to better diagnose acute pain in the future (by removing the most common contributors to pain). You might just get to speed up to get your wls and appendectomy all at once.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active