Less aches and pains after WLS?

pr31
on 10/12/17 5:22 am

Like others have said, depends on what's causing the aches. My back still hurts from time to time, especially if I overdo it, but not nearly as bad as it used to. My feet used to hurt really bad all the time and now I walk 4 or more miles at a time with no foot pain. I can even wear some heels sometimes - before it was complete flats all the time. My knees are so much better. I used to have a very hard time doing stairs and now have no problems at all. The only thing that I think hurts more is my butt . There's a lot less padding so sitting for any length of time can be uncomfortable - but that's a very small trade-off.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

reree6898
on 10/12/17 6:42 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

For me I hurt all the time before losing the weight. My knees, back, ankles, basically any weight bearing joint just hurt all the time. There was a short period of time that the pain did persist after I began to lose and my body readjusted to a different center of gravity and all. Now though I still have a bit of pain from time to time in my left knee due to the years of damage I had done to it but other then that the only time I hurt is when I have been doing excessive hours of physical labor and even then it is still way better then even my best day was prior to the weight loss.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

jenorama
on 10/12/17 11:00 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Before I had my RNY and lost over 160 lbs I was pretty much achy all the time, particularly in my lower back and left knee. My left shoulder would send a throbbing pain all the way down my arm and I couldn't lay on that side. Standing for more than 20 minutes at a time was torture.

Since losing weight, my aches and pains are much improved. Standing still for a long time is still a challenge, but I can walk all day and be ready for more. My left knee still sounds like a bag of sand when going up stairs, but it doesn't ache on its own. I'm going to have trouble with my back for the rest of my life as a consequence of being morbidly obese for 30 years, but now back pain is a rarity and resolves much quicker.

Be aware that as you are losing weight and adjusting to a new center of balance and stride, your aches and pains may temporarily increase. A common complaint is increased back pain. Take it easy and don't try to do too much too soon and you should be fine.

Jen

sweetpotato1959
on 10/18/17 10:46 am

Jenorama, and others with associated lower back pain...

You should consider chiropractic or Osteopath visit for lower back and ask them about exercises to strengthen the back. Exercises are not instant, but have worked well for me. I started with a 3 x a day light exercise routine secific for lower back. 8 yrs later, now do 1 or 2 times a day,. I found a good one chiro and clinic and he taught me how to realign my back, to maintain it. The strengthening of all associated muscle groups makes a world of difference!

Denise
HonestOmnivore
on 10/13/17 11:17 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I have felt much better since I dropped my first thirty pounds (the first two months post WLS). Now my aches and pains are the "good" kind, from recent exercise.

I think my fat levels as a Morbidly Obese woman, were increasing my overall inflammation levels. At the time of surgery, the thought of giving up NSAIDs was terrifying. Since surgery there have been only a couple of times when I really wanted to take one. It's been a wonderful experience to be free from chronic pain.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

sweetpotato1959
on 10/18/17 10:27 am

It depends on what is causing your pain, tired ness and achy feelings. If you have already lost a substantial amount of weight and are achy and tired. Not had surgery ? could be cortizol/adrenal fatigue issue... LOTS of things can cause these symptoms, including rapid blood sugar changes. You may be due for a check on hormone/iron/vitaminB levels.Your PCP should be able to assist you.

Sublingual B's control my carb cravings and give me an energy boost.

My knee pain was caused by excess weight and a position while driving long distances for work. My sinus were irritated and freq blocked by excess fat. after i had lost the first 50 lbs. I was different.

My Knee pain has left, my sinus /allergies are markedly better.I have better stamina generally. I no longer require meds for arthritis or for sinus on a daily basis. I am using natural means for sinus issues and take something for arthritis 2 x a month, usually. I am 120 lbs lighter than when I started.

Health issues can and do occur after some of these procedures, they can be major or minor, each case is different because we are ALL different and each of our bodies respond differently..... my surgical procedure was a precoursor to these being done now and is no longer being done.. so I am over 22 years post op.

Everyoe recieving any surgery....should Pay special attention to the post op instructions and obtain at least two copies.. one to work from daily to help you to maintain your care and the second one to have as a back up copy. Use to make opies and be sure to record changes that are made to your regimine as prescribed...after labs and etc.

Be sure to follow the clinics recommendations on supplements.. things to use and things to avoid. Breaking the rules does not hurt them , but the surgery recipient. Many things have changed since my surgery was done, including the information on calcium absorbtion.

Once you have surgery you need to remain in contact with those doing research/and your specific clinic on needs of post surgical people....for the most up to date info& possible need changes.

Denise
Beam me up Scottie
on 10/18/17 8:00 pm
Yes and No. I had lower back issues prior to surgery and it is still bad.

The only thing that losing weight helped is that my back doesn't go "out" anymore. Prior to losing 300 lbs, I'd have paralyzing back pain for days. To the point that I could not walk. That has gone away, my back doesn't go out anymore...but still aches as much.

Scott

Most Active