Hey body, what's with you?

Valerie G.
on 10/5/17 7:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My favorite salty snacks are cheese crisps (bake or nuke little piles of shredded cheese until hardened-tastes like cheese-its), kale chips (toss to coat with oil and salt, then bake until crisp), and shaved parmesan. Other things I keep on hand in the fridge are cheese cubes, deli ham, and deviled eggs for quick grabs.

I eat three meals a day and snack 2 or 3 times myself. I can't go more than a couple of hours without nibbling something, especially when I'm working.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dcgirl
on 10/5/17 8:44 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Pickles! Low calorie and a great crunch.

Make pepperoni or turkey pepperoni in the microwave - they crisp right up.

Bacon! Who doesn't love bacon?

Cheese crisps are good too - put parchment paper on a pan, and bake a tbsp of shredded parmesan until they are brown and crispy. You can add Italian seasoning if you want.

I used to try all the protein crisps (Kay's on netrition.com or Quest chips from GNC) but I found that they feel like carbs and then I crave more - i.e. I don't only eat one tiny bag, so I quit those.

Good luck!

Kathy1212
on 10/5/17 9:43 am

Snacks depend on your plan; some allow them and others don't. Mine does, and encourages them to keep blood sugar levels from going up and down.

I'll have a cheese string or pepperette, home made beef jerky, etc. Sometimes I"ll have Greek yogurt with berries. If I'm craving salty, I'll make some zucchini chips in my food dehydrator and lightly salt them. They're low carb, low calorie and tasty (to me).

Other times I'll have a pickle, or cherry tomatoes with salt and pepper. I occasionally will buy the Quest Protein Chips, BBQ flavor, but not often as they're pricey.

I make sure the snacks fit into my food plan/calories/protein/carb goals for the day.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Kristi T.
on 10/5/17 10:19 am, edited 10/5/17 3:22 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

If I feel an absolute need to have a snack, especially something salty I pretty much stick to string cheese, cheddar crisps made in the toaster oven, seaweed crisps or a hard boiled egg w/pinch of s&p. Lately my go to snack has been tea made with Stash brand of double spice chai tea with vanilla Premier shake added. I usually reach for a snack when my body tells me to do it(I get nauseated, tired and shaky). I rarely feel actual physical hunger anymore, it's more the symptoms I mentioned. I used to think it was dehydration I was feeling, but that is definitely not it:-)

I do like the Krave and Dukes brands for jerky, they are softer and have more options like turkey. Epic brand is new and they have all kinds of unusual jerky like salmon, pork and bison.

ETA: Flavor of tea and lots of typos(sorry:-)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/5/17 11:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I make my own jerky. It's great because you can make it as hard or chewy as you like! My husband likes his very crunchy, I like mine soft, so I just tailor each batch.

I bought a dehydrator for $40 on Amazon when I was several months post op, and I use it about once a week. It was a great investment!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Donna L.
on 10/5/17 1:39 pm, edited 10/5/17 6:39 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You can actually be in ketosis above 20g of carbs - that's just a general guideline espoused in various areas. I typically eat between 5-65g depending, and am consistently in ketosis. I've been keto for almost a decade on and off.

Also, I find that sugar alcohols and grains upset my stomach, actually, and it's not keto that does it. Some people also do better with modifications. My macros are protein forward, then fat, and a bare minimum of carbs. You can experiment here somewhat. You may also be lactose intolerant, too. You also do not have the gut flora for eating more of a protein/fat diet for some time, and probiotics may help.

I hate pork rinds, haha. As for crunchy and salty, cucumbers with salt are a great crunchy/salty snack. They are also great with Trader Joe's bagel seasoning. You can also bake zucchini slices or kale into chips. If you are keto you absolutely need more salt than average. We need a lot more, and also more potassium and magnesium, too.

I eat anywhere from 3-7 times a day. I actually plan 7 meals a day. If I eat less, fine, but if I eat them all, that's okay too. Many people need to eat more with different surgeries. See: the DS or SADI/SIPS. The main thing is to not eat unplanned or in your bedroom, because those drive unconscious consumption.

All of the surgeries are great, but WLS plus low carb is like a sports car with premium fuel - you're going to go father and get more bang for your buck, even if the premium fuel is expensive. Food and the human body are no different.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Melody P.
on 10/12/17 7:31 am - Amarillo, TX

Thanks everyone! I so appreciate the replies!

i had a few dismal days but I'm not going to live in the past. Time to move on.

snacks have gotten better, as I have cut down on the volume. I have some dill mini pickles, small pieces of cheese and have cut out chips. They are good for nothing. I'm looking at a surgery date most likely in January.

Mel

Most Active