Bowel intussusception after rny

brothfam
on 10/2/17 8:46 am

I am 10 years post op and am healing from my second intussusception. I have been reading on here and see I'm not the only one. I was reading where someone posted a few years ago her Dr thought it was from a Paterson Hernia. I am curious if anybody has had an intussusception and if anybody has heard of the hernia I mentioned being the reason. I have been told I will most likely have more which scares me to death because it is the WORST pain in the world. (At least that I've fealt and I've had 2 natural births and now 4 major abdominal surgeries)

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/2/17 4:07 pm

I am sorry you are dealing with that. I had hernias, but I was never diagnosed with what you have. I read that WLS can increase a risk of having intussusception. ButI don't have any studies or real infor about that. Any abdominal surgery can increase a risk to have that. But even with no surgery, they can happen

Sometimes they can resolve by itself, but often they require surgical intervention.

Bowel intussusception can happen regardless if you had WLS or not. I know a few people who deal with that, and 2 taht never had any abdominal surgery. Adults.

Good luck. Hope you get better. What do they plan to do? a surgery? or wait and see?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

brothfam
on 10/3/17 1:44 am

Both times I've had one I have had to have emergency surgery because I have such a high pain tolerance they don't think anything is "really" wrong with me until it has become gangreneious and the pain is SOOO excruciating i"7 would rather die than go another moment with it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/3/17 4:42 am

My coworker is dealing with that now. Her was induced by a very strong antibiotic that damaged her small bowel lining. As far as I know she never had any abdominal surgery.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

supershopper
on 10/2/17 6:07 pm

I had a hernia and twisted bowel. Had surgery 2 months ago.

I hope this is the last time I have to deal with it

it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life everytime I would eat solid food.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Southern Mom
on 10/3/17 9:18 am

I am four weeks out from repair of intussusception and a hernia repair and 2 years out from RNY. The hernia was not a Peterson's. The Dr. said it was in a place higher where he does not usually see hernias. My intussusception was happening right up at the RNY limb. My Dr. said he only sees about 1 out of a thousand with this. I pray it never happens again because it has been miserable and I was definitely not prepared for how rough the recovery for it would be.

racemomss
on 10/6/17 9:42 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Hugs and prayers for you. Hope you get better quick!

Southern Mom
on 10/9/17 9:44 am

Thank you!

Most Active