Restart: Anyone want to chat with a WLS old-timer? :)

HonestOmnivore
on 9/26/17 1:17 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

The breed is registered through a French kennel club which requires a specific letter for the first name corresponding to each year (of birth). 2017 is an "N" year, so I'm naming him "Neville" after the great fictional hero Neville Longbottom (Harry Potter series). My last dog, God rest her soul, was a Neo Mastiff named "Mrs. Figg" also after a Harry Potter character LOL!

I love rescues and over my 50 year lifetime have had some GREAT rescues. I purchased this puppy for two reasons (rationalizations?): I wanted to have a puppy again, just because PUPPY. And I wanted to get a dog with a reasonably good chance of having the key characteristics I need which is hard to do if you don't know the characteristics of the parents (breed).

1. A dog that wouldn't get larger than about 35 lbs the apparent cut off in size for a lot of apts and rentals in this market.
  2. A dog that would be happy to go on a run with me, year round, but didn't HAVE TO GO FOR A RUN to stay sane (The running part eliminated some of my favorite smashed face breeds!)
  3. A dog that could be happy living in the limited space of an apt or even a high-rise and isn't "yappy".
  4. An easy care coat that would work in Ohio (four seasons).
  5. A dog that would have a large enough (adult) bladder to hold it during an average work day, and a breed reputation for being easy to house break.
  6. A dog that is reasonably easy to train (a breed that naturally responds to humans).
  7. A dog that is social and friendly (assuming adequate socialization of course) and generally does well with kids (my friends keep procreating!)

I spoke to a few of owners of puppies from a previous breeding, some of whom live in downtown Chicago apartments and actively hunt with their dogs on weekends. I doubt I'll be going pheasant hunting any time soon, but it's nice to the siblings can chill out during the week in a little apt, then happily go hunt in the country on the weekends. One of the owners described his dog as an over-grown King Charles Spaniel - Better physical structure (breathing, eyes etc), better house training results, but still quiet and generally happy to loaf on the couch all day.

Can you tell I'm excited???????

I had planned on naming my next male dog "Fido" because I love the classic names and Loyal One is pretty good for a dog's name, I thought I'd use "Neville" on his papers and still call him "Fido" but now he just looks like a Neville to me!

I've decided to stay with my sister and her family for at least the next six months - this will allow them to have a little income form my rent, and allow Neville to have "day-care" and a handy back yard steps away while he figures out the house training ropes. Plus my sister and her wife have two small kids to continue his socialization, and their dog, Porter, for a (certainly initially grumpy) play buddy. Porter is convinced that he's MY dog, so there will be bumps in that road LOL! I'm planning on letting Porter continue to sleep with me while Neville sleeps in the kitchen in his crate. Hopefully that will sooth his injured soul!

(Porter)

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

StephanieF.
on 9/26/17 7:36 am

Oh my word, what an adorable little angel! He will make your life better in many ways, including those walks!

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Weight at surgery on July 26, 2006: 304 lbs
Lowest weight: 147 (157 pounds lost!)
Regain over the past 2 years (2012-2014) - 59 pounds
REBOOTING! :) Working on losing back down to 160 (beginning Jan. 18, 2015)

StephanieF.
on 9/25/17 10:19 pm

Thanks for the invite, Diane! I'll definitely check that out. :)

You are wise to get a handle on it while you only have 15 pounds to lose. I kept sticking my head in the sand and now I have to work on this for a lot longer than I would have to get back down to my goal weight. But I'm determined to do so!

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Kathy S.
on 9/25/17 2:43 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. I maintained 118-125 for over 10 years after losing 200 pounds. Due to a personal tragedy I gained and hit the 190 mark a year ago. After several starts it finally clicked and I am back to goal losing 60 pounds of regain. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!!

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

StephanieF.
on 9/25/17 10:23 pm

This is such a helpful, encouraging post! Thank you for taking the time to write it. I agree that journaling and good preparation is vital, and I definitely have to do more exercise. I must get up and go! :)

Kathy S.
on 9/26/17 12:47 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Image result for you got this dog

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

babettes_feast
on 9/27/17 10:31 am

Hi Stephanie -- I was active on these boards 7-8 years ago. I had a VSG and have regained all my weight. I'm now going to visit my surgeon about a DS... she didn't do them back when I had my surgery so I've got my fingers crossed.

What protein drinks/bars do you like? I love Click, but it's just too caffeinated for more than one a day. Thanks for any and all favorites you can share!

Babette

StephanieF.
on 9/27/17 10:52 am

Hi Babette! I remember your username from back in those years...I always thought it sounded like a great book title. :)

I'm sorry you have had the regain issue. It's so frustrating, but it sounds like you're really being proactive! My doctor only did RNY bypass and LAP band when I went in for a consult, so I didn't have any other options. But I digress.

I like CLICK ok, too, and use it from time to time. I don't mind Designer Whey chocolate, but I add some sugar free vanilla coffee syrup to it, or some frozen strawberries.

My favorite ones are from Bariatric Eating's site. My very favorite is the pumpkin pie flavor! https://shop.bariatriceating.com/inspire-protein.html I add the sf coffee syrup to these, too, but their flavors are good. It is a bit more expensive, unfortunately. But since I am doing it as meal replacement, it sort of balances out to an affordable price per meal.

StephanieF.
on 9/27/17 10:55 am

Wanted to add that Click is 14 servings per container, while Inspire has 20 servings. That also helps explain the higher cost, too, I think. :)

Most Active