Lost weight after duodenal switch

Joelbedoya
on 9/23/17 6:51 pm
DS on 09/23/17

i had the surgery month ago.i lost 40lb but now the lost weight is very slow i did not lost any lb along this week. Somebody have same problem? It is normal?

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/17 11:10 pm
CC C.
on 9/24/17 10:28 am

I didn't have the DS, but a stall somewhere from week 2 to week 4 post WLS is very normal. You can google "3 week stall" to see just how many if us it happens to. It'll start up again! Just relax and go with the flow.

Donna L.
on 9/24/17 11:33 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You...lost 40 pounds in a month. That's freaking amazing!

And it's always going to slow down. Our bodies are not static systems where input is equal to output. They take time to adjust, and are dynamic.

Even with the DS weight loss can be slow. It's typically faster than average, however 40lb in the first month is nothing to sneeze.

The lower your starting weight, also, the slower you will lose weight over time, even with a DS.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Janet P.
on 9/25/17 2:37 am

You're only a month out. You've lost 40 pounds - that's great. Your body will continue to adjust. What are you eating? I assume at one month post-op you're just now starting to eat real food. Don't track calories - look at protein and fat only. Once you start the journey you have to completely relearn how to eat with the DS - it's different than anything you've ever experienced.

The hardest thing to learn with the DS is that we tend not to eat enough. When that happens your body thinks you're starving it so it holds onto everything you eat - hence no weight loss. You may need to slowly increase fat intake as well.

High protein and low carb. Lots of water.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 9/25/17 1:09 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The first month stall is pretty common no matter what procedure you had, so you're right on target for that. Stalls will happen often as you're losing. What I noticed was that when I stopped losing, I would realize that I'd dropped a clothing size or three. Make this part of your ritual so instead of saying "oh dangit" you'll be saying "oh SQUEE" as you discover you need a smaller size.

Also - someone already mentioned that we need to feed a DS. When stalls occurred after my third month, if it was longer than a week, I would have a donut (krispy kreme is notorious for success). This would kick my metabolism in the pants and get me going again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/27/17 3:35 pm

Wait, mini Three Musketeers bars aren't the magic stall breaker?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Valerie G.
on 9/27/17 3:44 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I never tried that one, LOL. Many DSers swear by a Krispy Kreme and peppermint tea.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active