Women's clothing sizes are larger now?

LettingLayneyLoose
on 9/20/17 6:08 pm

I've definitely noticed that sizing is much different now than it was the last time I wore regular sizes (15 years ago.) I'm still pretty overweight at 5'8" and 178 lbs, but my Banana Republic size 12 Skinny pants are getting too baggy to wear and I had to size down to medium compression running tights because my larges were falling down. The last time I wore size 10/medium, I weighed 140lbs.

HW: 299 CW: 165 GW: 150

Started Optifast on April 21, 2017 at 248lbs through the Ontario Bariatric Network medical program.

peachpie
on 9/20/17 7:01 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

When you've spent a lifetime SMO like me- everything I owned clothing wise was a double digit that started with a '2'. I think those sizes are fairly consistent- buy can vary by store.

Any clothes size that didn't start with a 2 was likely in high school and I'm impressed with those of you *****call what you weighed in high school.

I tend not to pay attention to the weight/size thing... designer, retailer, personal preference on how loose one prefers to wear their clothes comes into play.

I'm 5'6" & in the upper 190's for weight. I wear a solid 12 in pants, and a medium/large top. 12 was my goal size- and I'm totally happy with it. I own a few 10's, usually the exception, not the rule.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/21/17 5:54 am

Sizing in USA has changed a lot. Vanity size.

Over the years I used to be fat-thin- fat-thin- fat. I had a few years I was wearing size 8-10.

I kept some of nice clothes that size- smaller sizes. As I was losing weight I used my bins of clothes I had from the past. Buying only few more "current" items.

I still have some of the small sized clothes. Now I wear size 4-6, S-M, yet I still could not fit into some of my older size 8-10-12. (10-15 years old clothes - like jeans, some dresses). I have away or donated most of them.

I have "vintage" formal or ****tail dresses I bought in thrift or consignment stores, that are either older, or European, and they come is size 10-12-14 to fit me today. I no longer care what size show on the label. If fits and is comfortable, and looks good on me- I wear it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

diane S.
on 9/21/17 10:52 am

Yep I am positive there has been clothing size inflation over the years. I remember when I wore size 14 pants in high school at my same weight as now. I do a 10 now. And I remember years ago the more expensive brands were roomier. So glad I no longer need a business wardrobe. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Knitter215
on 9/21/17 12:30 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

I can guarantee you there has been size inflation and changes in the last 20 years. I passed the bar exam in 1989. I just found the suit I was admitted to practice in - it is a Joseph A Banks size 14. I found another Talbots 14 in the closet as well. The jackets fit perfect and I'm wearing, these days, medium tops and size 10-12 jackets. The skirts fit fine in the hips but I can't button at the waist - the waists were cut smaller then. I weigh within 15 pounds of what I did when I wore these suits in the the early 90s.

I have a pair of size 12 Calvin Klein jeans from the early 1980s (no spandex - denim only) from when painted on jeans were the rage - they were my first pair of "designer" jeans. (Paid more than $100 back then - which is a crap ton in today's money.) I can get them up over my hips, but they aren't zipping or buttoning any time soon.

Yet I just put on a pair of size 9 juniors shorts that one of my daughters were going to toss.

Yep. There's been size inflation.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Andiemarie30
on 9/21/17 2:32 pm
VSG on 03/21/17

Yesterday my jeans were 12s, today they are 16s. I have a pair of 18s that are a little big but wearable and some of my 14s are tight. All are different brands and different ages. The 18s have always been mine and they are at least 8 years old, the rest of my jeans came from Goodwill in the last 3 months but none were new recently. I have some large tops (from Goodwill) that are too tight to really wear and I have some brand new large tops and a dress from a Island Boutique that fit great. I've learned that when shopping start with the size you think you are and one bigger and one smaller and go from there.

VSGAnn2014
on 9/21/17 6:59 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Not only have clothing sizes "gained weight," but there's terrific variance from brand to brand in how big any of the US sizes actually are.

Most days I find myself wearing very different sizes in the same outfit, e.g., a size 2 from The Loft, a size 6 from BCBG, and a Large from MSSP.

Don't get me started on underwear sizes. Aaarrrggghhhh!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

AggieMae
on 9/22/17 12:58 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Yes clothing is size smaller now. What was considered a size 12 in 1968 would be sized as a size 10 now.

What I notice is the high end priced cloths run much larger that cloths from stores like Target.

I were a medium or size 10 at Nordstrom, a large and size 12 at the Gap (and sometimes a old navy). But in Target I need to buy XL.

Au_Contraire
on 9/22/17 2:08 pm

In my early 20s, weighing 124 pounds at 5'8 and 1/2" with a medium frame, I wore a size 6. That was 4 0 years ago. Nowadays women who are not as tall and quite a bit heavier can wear that size. Vanity sizing has saturated the industry. it's understandable - who wouldn't prefer wearing a smaller size? Pounds and inches tell a more consistent story.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/23/17 11:23 am, edited 9/23/17 4:34 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I agree that you are not ready to stop losing yet, but 115 might be a bit low for a fit,5'4'' woman. Getting the dexascan in the 130s is a good idea. I am 5'3'' and lift weights, at 140 I was 10% body fat, 90percetile of muscularity for woman my age (59).

Also, I think sizing has changed and are now 'vanity' sized. A 6 is the old 10.

You may also want to check out this person before/after PS photos. It shows what you may be dealing with when you get to BMIs ~20 and why 115 (Including excss skin) is 'thinner' than you may think because you cannot diet away so you may need to lose muscle mass to get to 115.

I found that making photos of myself without my had helped me see what a good weight range was for me.

Good luck, stay sane.

Sharon

Most Active