Breakfast Anyone??

diane S.
on 9/15/17 11:37 am

I've never been much of a breakfast eater and drink coffee and eventually have greek yogurt. My surgeon thinks its important to have 30 g protein within an hour of waking up. Of course, I don't do that. But I don't have to get up at 5 am and go do surgery on someone. Do what works for you. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Highfunctioningfatman
on 9/15/17 1:06 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

If I don't have 200-300 calories withon an hour or so I'm seriously dragging ass. My breakfast is always straight protein. I found that eggs alone wasn't enough so usually it is 2 eggs and sausage or bacon. A lot of times I just do 4 slices of bacon and call it good. Your results may vary.

Gwen M.
on 9/15/17 1:56 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Some people need to eat regularly for blood sugar reasons. I don't - so I tend to eat my first meal sometimes between 10-12, second meal is 3-4, and last meal is 7-9. Do what works for you.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/15/17 2:49 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your brain needs fuel for the day, and some research has suggested that food in the morning is important for cognitive function. (Doesn't matter what kind of food it is-- eggs and bacon are just as valid as jerky!)

Good overview of the science: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1878450X17 300045

If you're functioning just fine on only coffee? Roll with it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ljbarbara
on 9/15/17 5:58 pm

Just a little factoid...Breakfast originally was used as a term meaning 'break your fast', that time between your last meal of the day and your first meal the next day. Often, that time came after you had already been working in the fields for a few hours or tending the animals or whatever else people did in those days.

Over the ages that has evolved into the time before you go to work in the morning. As Grim said, the advertising agencies turned it into the most important meal of the day.

It really doesn't matter what time that happens. We are all different, so for each of us it's a different time. Some people really do need to eat very first thing after they wake up. Other people can wait hours before eating. It's such an individualized thing.

Another misconception is that we have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. Many people need the easier to digest first thing in the morning foods, ie: cereal, eggs, oat meal, toast etc. Others are happy with a pork chop.

In my humble and personal opinion, eat breakfast whenever you and your body feels like it. Always keep it protein first and always make sure you get your daily amount of protein required.

One size does not fit all, everyone is different and each of us needs to do what is best for ourselves.

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

NYMom222
on 9/15/17 6:51 pm, edited 9/15/17 11:52 am
RNY on 07/23/14

It's a rare morning that I get up and feel the need to eat. Every once in awhile it does happen but rare. Early on I would do a protein drink somewhere during the morning.

I switched my morning coffee to a latte with fairlife milk(more protein less carbs) I figured that way it constituted more of a meal. I only get to "oh you really need to eat" if it gets to like 1-2-3 in the afternoon. Usual eating time is between 11am and noon.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Fredbear
on 9/16/17 6:56 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I have always felt nauseous if I eat within an hour or two of waking, but I'm okay with protein shakes.

On vacation I'm usually okay within 30 minutes of waking, but then it's almost always just omelettes/cheese.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 7:09 pm
Beam me up Scottie
on 9/18/17 9:00 pm
Doesn't matter for me, but I find that I eat a lot more later in the day if I don't eat breakfast.

Bruce
califsleevin
on 9/20/17 8:51 pm - CA

When I was going through the initial orientation at university, the rep from the student counseling center told us that they had found that most problems students were having came from not having a good breakfast. Great - just what a bunch of teenagers disinclined to get up before noon wanted to hear. So much for the counseling center as a source of help (which may have been the point of the talk - take the load off of them!)

I'm with Grim on this - if it makes a difference to you then it makes a difference. There are lots of studies out there (even those not sponsored by the breakfast food industry...) that finds how important one thing or another is. However, for a study to draw any viable conclusions it has to minimize variables, reducing the number of people and lifestyles to which it applies. If you fit the profile of what they studied that's great.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active